Oooooouch!

Guest albrodie

Guest albrodie

Zoe ripped out a toe nail over the weekend. Not just broken or cracked but completely gone. The vet says to just keep it clean. Does anyone know of anything I could put on it or give her to sooth it a bit. I know it hurts her because she is bouncing around on three legs! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, when Doc did this to a dew claw I just cleaned it a couple of times a day with salt water. Doc also did a fair amount of licking at it himself! It took a couple of weeks for it to regrow to cover the quick. I would try a little aloe vera gel, if you think it needs some extra soothing, but apply it just before walks/play/whatever so it has some time to get to work before she licks it off again! Not that aloe vera will harm her if she does. Calendula ointment is also meant to be good, but I haven't tried that.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

No advice... just :grouphug to Zoe... poor baby! Hope she feels better soon!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Ouchie! Emmy ripped out a toe nail once and it never grew back. I don't know what you can give her to help except maybe coated asprin. Poor baby!

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Owie! Not much you can do for it. Once it grows back just a little bit it will stop hurting. You can try some Neosporin with pain relief. Poor baby. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Poor Zoe. :( My bridge boy, Keno, did that twice -- he was a wild thing in his younger days. The second time he did it was very bloody and painful. Anyway, my vet told me to keep it very clean to prevent a nail bed infection. I kept a cotton baby sock taped over it to keep him from licking it (he was terrible about that) and then put plastic wrap over it when he went outside to keep the mud/dirt from getting to it.

Keno was on oral antibiotics and he gave me something to clean it with, but I don't remember what it was. I now use a natural ointment called Wounded Warrior for most cuts and wounds. It doesn't sting and it's very soothing (has calendula in it). I use it on myself too.

Feel better soon Zoe.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown