Something Strange Happened Today...

Ok let me start by saying... Nothing like this has ever happened before. Nothing out of the norm has happened in the last few days to bring this on.. no getting into anything,, no eatting anything different.. everything has been same ol same ol.

This am, we were all get around, ready togo to church, Betsy is always the last out of bed (why leave a warm spot?) I was just about togo out and get a cup off coffee when behind me i hear something crashing around, i turned around thinking, i was gonna see the rat cage on the floor or something, but what i see is betsy crashing about the room like a drunk. it was all happening so fast, i got her stopped, and settled down on the floor, but i was worried she had hurt herself crashing into the walls. she wasnt just bouncing off of them, it was smashing, and crashing into them.

Once i got her settled down, to me she acted more as if she had had a stroke. her back legs wouldnt work, and her left side went limp. and, she had her head hung low. by the time we got on the phone with the vet, and got all the info to him, she was starting to come out of it. really unstable on her legs once she got up (still a lil drunkish acting) we waited about an hour, she was restless, we fed her a lil bit with the other dogs, she kept it down, but she just seems out of it today. she seems ok, just slow feeling ickish. Now most sundays i make bisc. n gravy, and she is right there praying for something to fall so she can have it. not today, she could have cared less, curled up in her lazyboy chair.

Talking to the vet, he thinks it could have been a siezure, telling me it could be just one of many, or just one out of the blue. He wants me to watch her today, and bring her in tomorrow. I want togo in armed with all the info i can get, so i'm here knowing i can gt that here......

So what do you all think? siezure, stroke, or what? I'm so worried about my lil girl.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

I really can't say for sure...but I can tell you this is the way our babes behaved post seizure. Please hug Betsy for me and keep us posted. :grouphug Edited to add: They did NOT however have one sided weakness...but very disoriented and bouncing off the walls and running into furniture and falling. :blush

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Could be vestibular syndrome if she's dizzy and nauseous, or a stroke with the weakness you describe. Would definitely get her into the vet tomorrow. How old is she? Sending lots of prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh gosh, I have no helpful advice but wanted to offer hugs for you and for Betsy! :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

:bighug I am sorry I ave no helpful advice. bUT really hope she is ok. W will be praying for you all.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greyt2love
I really can't say for sure...but I can tell you this is the way our babes behaved post seizure. Please hug Betsy for me and keep us posted. :grouphug Edited to add: They did NOT however have one sided weakness...but very disoriented and bouncing off the walls and running into furniture and falling. :blush

The same with Caesar, along with facing into a corner and staying there. Prayers for you and your baby.

Guest dmboynt

My second dog, Ivory, a spitz samoyed mix, had seizures, and this sounds a lot like what your dog had. We were able to control his with phenobarbital, and he lived a long happy life

Guest LittleGreys

I had an episode just like that with my Italian Greyhound years ago. She was 4 years old at that time. I assumed it was a seizure, I have had several dogs with seizures thoughout the years. I never had one like that, though. She was running around falling, scrambling, hitting the walls just like you described. I called me mom to help me take her to the vet, by the time she got there, the dog was coming out of it. I assumed, because of her age, that she was going to be epileptic, as the vet found nothing wrong with her. She never, ever did it again (at least that I saw!). She is now 12 and 1/2.

I hope all works out for your girl. Sending lots of prayers that it was a one time thing.

Guest EmilyAnne

My first thought was Betsy may have had a seizure while you were not looking, and ths is her post seizure behavior.

Except for one sided weakness, this is what Henry does after a grand mal. His last seizure he ran and crashed into things for an hour and ten minutes post seizure.

If it happens again and is it seizures, take heart, there's lots of hope for dogs with epilepsy. Henry started a new med in Oct. and has only had one seizure since then, and that one was triggered by UTI. It has been 50 days since his last seizure.

Jillysfullhouse, one of her hounds was having very severe seizures multiple times a week, with meds, he has been seizure free for over three years now!:)

Keep us posted. :grouphug

Guest HornGreys

It could be Vestibular just like said above. Vestibular kind of looks like a seizure. During an episode they get dizzy because they are. It is an inner ear thing that all of a sudden they become dizzy and look as if they are sea sick. They will then lean to one side because they can't get their balance, or right themself. Watch out because it can be mis-diagonesed as seizures. Some dogs it takes a while to come out and can have an issue with one side of their body for up to a week. My boy was almost better within 24 hours. I hope that it was something as simple as this and not a seizure or stroke. You can look online about Vestibular. It talks about it in humans but is very similar in dogs.

Guest Honeysmom

Nikki, I hope Betsy will be ok....I never had anything like that with Honey or the others so I don't know about it. Keep us posted and I'll be thinking of you both :hope

Kiowa has had 2 seizures in the 6+ yrs I have had him that presented just like that. They came out of nowhere and end just as quickly and other than being lethargic for the next 12-24 hrs he has recovered well. It could well be that she never has another one.

the vet will likely ask you to keep a diary of all events and food that Betsy has for awhile.

Well as of now (8:30pm) she seems back to normal. pretty well ticked off that i wont let her have any popcorn. She has been quiet most the day, has been clingy with me, kinda like "thanks mom for taking care of me" I'll be taking her to the vet early tomorrow before i go see dad at the hospital, so i'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for all the info :grouphug

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

Guest KennelMom

Sounds a lot like our Echo when she had her seizure a couple years ago. Scared the sh*t out of me as I'd never seen anything like it. I'd grown up with a cocker spaniel that had epilepsy and his seizures were nothing like what Echo had. She was in the kitchen and was banging into the cabinets...she crashed into the dining room table and eventually collapsed.

She had a battery of tests and nothing was found. She's never had another episode. I'd definitely pursue it with your vet to see if they can find anything. I'd also make sure she is in a safe place when you leave the house so she can't get hurt or have her a collar hung up on anything in case she has another episode.

Sending prayers :hope

Could be vestibular syndrome if she's dizzy and nauseous, or a stroke with the weakness you describe. Would definitely get her into the vet tomorrow. How old is she? Sending lots of prayers... :hope

This would be my guess also. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest EmilyAnne

I forgot to ask, do you have other dogs? If so, I think it would be a good idea to seperate Betsy from other dogs when you are out of the house. We gate Henry into our bedroom when we are away, and Riley gets the run of the house. For some reason, dogs tend to attack seizuring dogs. Riley has witnessed Henry seizuring and did nothing(except get scared), but I still dont take the chace. Better safe than sorry.

Guest lat41065

Movin woke me up doing the same thing in the middle of the night several months ago. never could isolate it to anything specific and it hasnt happened again. good luck, Lesley

hey all,

I've taken betsy to the vet. they r going to do some blood tests, and keep her over night. i'll pick her up in the am. right now tho the vet doesnt seem too worried, or acts like there is much he can do right now. if she seems to be having more, then he'll look into some meds for her.

No, the only other dog we have in the house is piper, our lil doxie, she took off for the hills yesterday when it happened, so i dont think she'll be much of a worry.

ok thanks all keep ya posted.

• 5 weeks later...