Uti Symptoms

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

So... over the past 5 days, Dempsey has peed in the house 4 times. This is highly unusual for him- he just doesn't pee in the house. We took a pee sample in to the vet yesterday and she said he doesn't have a UTI. There is some bacteria in the urine, but I'm told that's normal. His protein was a little high though I guess. Dempsey is drinking more water than usual and last night, he woke me up to go out almost every hour on the hour. I didn't wake up fast enough one of those times and he peed in front of the door. Sometimes when he goes out, he is peeing a lot and other times, not so much. It is always a dark color. If he doesn't have a UTI, what could be causing these symptoms? We went through SA 8-9 years ago, but even during that time he never peed inside- always pooped. He doesn't seem anxious whatsoever now and he is needing out frequently whether or not we are home. Before his amputation, Dempsey would go all night without needing out and would do fine on the days I couldn't make it home from work at lunchtime to let him out. I understand he's older, but needing to go to the bathroom this often cannot be normal.

He did just finish up 10 days of an antibiotic (Cephlaxin or something spelled along those lines!) to help prevent an infection at the surgery site, but my vet said it isn't the first choice for a UTI (before we knew he didn't have UTI). We go back to U of I on Tuesday, so I'm going to mention it to them and perhaps have him retested.

Any thoughts on what could be going on or what to try next? Please help!!! :)

So ... he's got bacteria in his urine and symptoms and your vet says he doesn't have a UTI? I'd be giving your vet a big earful ........

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

He is due to start chemo on Tuesday. I have a copy of his urine test, so I'll take that with me and see what they say. I'll at least ask to have the test repeated to see if there's any changes. I know for myself that there have been at least one or two times where I have *KNOWN* I had a UTI but the test results did not indicate I had one. Thank goodness my doctor still started me on an antibiotic- UTIs suck!

Guest HeatherDemps

So, at Dempsey's vet visit yesterday, I talked to the doctor about this whole thing. They took a urine sample to culture but the oncologist thinks that the peeing could be a side effect of the Tramadol. Yesterday, Demps had no Tramadol and last night, he went out at 11:30 and then didn't need out again until 6:00 this morning. He held it WAY longer than what he has been doing since coming home!! Hopefully, he'll continue to get back to his normal pottying habits- especially since it dropped yesterday from 50 degrees to 2 degrees today. :)

Guest whatahound

Years ago when we were getting ready to go out of town. Nikki was showing signs of a UTI so I rushed her to the vet, no infection. We left and and two days later my pet sitter called and said Nikki was peeing all over the place, she took her to the vet and it did show a UTI. Not really sure why it happened that way.

Our girl, Ruby, seems to pee more during times of stress. She does not show any visible signs of stress but will ask to go out hourly, and will always go (very dilute urine), and if you don't get to her in time, she'll go inside. (we went twice for UTI checks, and nothing was ever there)

Maybe this is just Dempsey's way of showing his stress over all that is happening to him?

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

So, at Dempsey's vet visit yesterday, I talked to the doctor about this whole thing. They took a urine sample to culture but the oncologist thinks that the peeing could be a side effect of the Tramadol. Yesterday, Demps had no Tramadol and last night, he went out at 11:30 and then didn't need out again until 6:00 this morning. He held it WAY longer than what he has been doing since coming home!! Hopefully, he'll continue to get back to his normal pottying habits- especially since it dropped yesterday from 50 degrees to 2 degrees today. :)

Interesting! I take Tramadol (arthritis)--no accidents yet.

But seriously--my dog was on tramadol for quite a few months before he died, and it had no such effect on him.

I hope the situation is under control!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest houndlover

Is the Tramadol causing him to drink more which is causing him to pee more? I'm glad that it has stopped for now and good luck with the chemo.

Guest HeatherDemps

Not sure, but always possible I guess! It's hard to know how much he's drinking when I'm at work due to multiple pets. All I know is that there still has been no accidents this week and I'm getting more sleep at night!! :) :) :)

Is the Tramadol causing him to drink more which is causing him to pee more? I'm glad that it has stopped for now and good luck with the chemo.