Broken Teeth?

Guest RocketDog

Guest RocketDog

I was looking at Cassie's teeth today (I'm home sick, and was REALLY bored) and noticed that her lower incisors appear to be broken off... they don't seem to cause her any discomfort, but it was disconcerting for me. Here's a cruddy picture :

2008_0124cass0007.jpg

She wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a clearer picture, but see how those 4 middle teeth appear to have broken? Should I get her in to the vet and see what they recommend? She just had a dental in September, and as far as I know she didn't lose any teeth (we adopted her in November)

I've been wondering about that myself. Coco has perfect teeth, but the four front, middle, bottom all have that appearance. Doesn't seem to suffer for it, and the vet never said anything about it.

Hopefully someone here knows the relevance, and whether it causes any pain or discomfort.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Are they broken off or just worn down? Some hounds come to us with very worn-down incisors (though I'm not clear on why--can anyone tell us?) Did she have longer incisors when you first got her or is this the first time you looked? If they are broken, is the pulp cavity showing? If it is, then they could be hurting her.

Guest mountain4greys

One of my hounds teeth look like that. They don't bother her. I was told it was from chewing on the crate. Other dogs we've placed look like that also, and it's always been from chewing the crate. Some hounds will chew all the way to the gums.

Pipi broke her canines down to the gums chewing on her crates...both racing & adoption kennel. My vet has looked at them, cleaned them & checked her over really good, she has no problem eating or at least snapping when someone is in her space...I kid her all the time about fussing with Gabby who only has 4 and a 1/2 teefies...what are ya'll going to do, knaw each other or slobby on each other. Both have no problems eating either.

Guest RocketDog

I check her teeth at least once a week, but somehow I never noticed these little front ones before... I'm going to try and get a better picture of them. They don't cause her any pain, as far as I can tell, and they don't look 'sharp' on the edges, if that makes sense.

Guest D_MansMommy
Pipi broke her canines down to the gums chewing on her crates...both racing & adoption kennel. My vet has looked at them, cleaned them & checked her over really good, she has no problem eating or at least snapping when someone is in her space...I kid her all the time about fussing with Gabby who only has 4 and a 1/2 teefies...what are ya'll going to do, knaw each other or slobby on each other. Both have no problems eating either.

Donovan did the same thing. He has basically no front teeth. The vet checked them out and he's ok. He eats fine (believe me :lol:lol )

Guest luvmygreys

Mojoe & Lucy both came to us with their teeth looking the same..Mojoe's were from chewing on crates and door frames..he's my SA boy..don't know how Lucys got like that..neither one seems to have a problem with them, and they've both had dentals. Probably nothing to worry about.

Hopefully someone here knows the relevance, and whether it causes any pain or discomfort.

(though I'm not clear on why--can anyone tell us?)

Crate chewing. Happens mostly when they're right about to race and all excited. Check this out.

Ford at 2 years. He'd only been racing a few months.

face03.jpg

Ford at 4 years. He came back in bad shape after he left Southland.

teeth01.jpg

Edit: His front teeth are worn down to his gums. All that is left is the root.

Dazzle's and Echo's teeth are also broken, but not as badly. It doesn't hurt them at all.

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

The incisors my be worn down instead of broken.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

If she had a dental already, clearly your vet doesn't think there's a problem or he/she would have mentioned it!

My dog's lower teeth are all chipped/broken/worn down and both of his upper canines are chipped. My vet took x-rays to make sure none of the chips had resulted in damage below the gums (no problems) and that's that.

I assume with nothing else to do in the track kennel for three years he chewed on his crate--it's not like chewing on toys or bones did it! However, my last dog, a non-Grey I got from the shelter as a pup, had such bad teeth that by the time he was 4 years old he had the mouth of a 15 year old! The vet theorized he had soft enamel or damaged enamel from all the antibiotics he took after I got him (he was a very sick little man!). I even took him to a dentist! She said if he was a police dog she could put stainless steel crowns on his canines. How cool would that have been! She said "As a pet, his ability to bite is not an asset" so she elected to do nothing (except charge me $150 for her opinion!).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

They look worn down to me. The same thing happened to my first greyhound's front bottom incisors after I gave him a cooked knuckle bone (the sort you can buy from pet shops): he enjoyed it so much that he ground his teeth down trying to get the last little bits of meat off. Needless to say, I don't give my dogs bones any more.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My vet told me that broken teeth on dogs isn't the same as broken teeth in humans. There usually isn't any pain involved for dogs. Spencer has several chipped teeth and one dead tooth there hasn't been any problems with them. Unless you notice your dog drooling a lot or seeming to be in pain when eating then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Leo has the same worn down front teeth. I was told it was from chewing cage bars. His canine teeth are also chipped. A few months ago when we first got him we tried to give him a bone and he broke off half of his lower canine. Only soft bones for now and we watch him very carefully.

Guest TooManyDogs

Yup, that looks like crate-chewed teeth. I had a foster that was claustropobic and my neighbor's grey is the same, and their teeth were worn down from chewing on the crate. These poor dogs just panicked when locked in their crates and did everything they could to escape. Uncrating them was the cure, but their teeth were still worn down. No crates now and they're both fine, happy, snaggle-tooth fellows.