Liqui-poop

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

My weekend foster girly (who is a love machine) had some explosive liquid D tonight.. One hand tells me she may be dehydrated and needs lots of water.. The other hand tells me too much water could make the D worse as it may pass right through her..

What's the best course of action?

I'm going to fast her for tonight and feed her some chicken and rice with pumpkin tomorrow evening..

OK.. she just had some more liquid D.. I gave her some immodium..

Is there anything else I can do for her to help settle her tummy?

I would not restrict water.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

DON'T restrict water -- encourage her to drink. If she has D, she needs to replace fluids. Fasting is good. I'd give her just the chicken and rice tomorrow and skip the pumpkin -- IMHO it doesn't help and can hurt, and lots of folks will disagree with me :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks!

I hope the immodium will help.. :)

You know, sometimes there is stuff that just needs to come out and the dog (or person) is better off if it does.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greyhounder
Thanks!

I hope the immodium will help.. :)

You know, sometimes there is stuff that just needs to come out and the dog (or person) is better off if it does.

I agree. however cleaning up stinky D.. and my own puke from the smell just aren't on my list of things to do today..

She brand new off the track and was spayed yesterday.. I'm sure its stress related..

Poor baby, I hope she feels better soon.

siggie-7.jpg

Poor sweetie - sending her feel-better vibes! I agree with those who have recommended fasting for 24h with water - it has worked for me in the past (well my dogs) gives the system a rest, but water is crucial as big D is very dehydrating. Then start her back on food with something very bland - rice with either boiled chicken or boiled and drained lean hamburger - different people have different preferences.

The other thing you might try is to boil barley, drain it, cool the liquid and give her some of that - supposed to be very good for dehydration, and you can use the barley in something else like a pilaf for yourself.

The other thing you might try is to boil barley, drain it, cool the liquid and give her some of that - supposed to be very good for dehydration, and you can use the barley in something else like a pilaf for yourself.

Ooo - I've never heard that one! I will have to keep that in mind! Sounds like a really good idea!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Yup, don't restrict the water, but do fast her with the food - it will give her stomach some time to heal instead of trying to process food at the same time.

Since you said she was just spayed, you might want to check with the vet if this continues - it could be a reaction to the anesthetic or something.

Guest greyhounder

thanks for all the info.. She was better last night..no more episodes but she did have a small one this morning.. I'm sure the immodium wore off. She is a love machine though and DH and I are in love.. :beatheart