How Do You Clean Ears?

Guest fallinforgreys

Guest fallinforgreys

I know this may sound like a dumb questions. But we have only had our grey for about a month and I have noticed he has a lot of wax or black/brown something in his ear's. It's kinda in the folds of the inside of his ears. I try to look at it, but he doesn't like his ear's being played with at all. If i want to try and clean them what should I do?

I use a ear cleaner from the vet (sorry--don't remember the name). For that gunk in the folds, I dip a gauze pad in the cleaner and gently wipe it out. For deeper cleaning, squirt a little in his ear, gently sort of hold it closed and massage it (they usually love this.) Since he doesn't like his ears petted, I'd start with that and not worry about the cleaning until he becomes more adjusted

Be sure to ask your vet if you see any redness or a funky smell, or if handling them gently seems to be causing any pain.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest 2Brindles
I use a ear cleaner from the vet (sorry--don't remember the name). For that gunk in the folds, I dip a gauze pad in the cleaner and gently wipe it out. For deeper cleaning, squirt a little in his ear, gently sort of hold it closed and massage it (they usually love this.) Since he doesn't like his ears petted, I'd start with that and not worry about the cleaning until he becomes more adjusted

Be sure to ask your vet if you see any redness or a funky smell, or if handling them gently seems to be causing any pain.

Or if he trys to "itch" them himself a lot. My boy Ronan did that for about 2-3 days. When I took him to the vet I was told he had a yeast infection in his ears and we were given a medicated solution to rinse it out.

Or if he trys to "itch" them himself a lot. My boy Ronan did that for about 2-3 days. When I took him to the vet I was told he had a yeast infection in his ears and we were given a medicated solution to rinse it out.

I use a solution of 50% hyd.peroxide and 50% warm water and clean with cotton balls. Sometime use Q-tips very gently for deep stuff. I use the same technique used by 2brindles.

I use something called Veterinarian's Best Ear Relief Wash Pet Swabs. They're like Q-tips except you break one tip off and it releases a cleaning/anti-spetic liquid into the other tip and you use that to clean the ear. I first tried using regular cotton balls but it just wasn't working for me. I couldn't see what I was doing!

I buy them from JBpet.com because they're several dollars cheaper than on the Veterinarian's Best website. You can find them here.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.