Could These Things Be Related?

Over the past few weeks I've been having some unexplained issues with Hobbes. I'm really worried there could be something bigger going on.

First off, he has been urinating in the our condo and elevator. It's like he just can't hold it, and can't stop once he has started. He does know the rules and I'm pretty sure this is a medical issue. However he saw a vet about this issue, and everything came back normal. I've been giving him cranberry pills in hopes it will help.

He also developed a limp on the weekend. He had been out to a greyhound run on Sunday, which he didn't run at (this is abnormal). That night he began limping very noticeably. The next day it was much better, although he still limps when he first gets up out of bed. He walks it off quickly and doesn't seem to be bothered by it much.

He also had a little freak out at a greyhound run (indoors) a few weeks ago. when it was happening I thought he was having a heart attack or something. He lay on the ground and was shaking. I couldn't get him to stand up, his legs would just collapse under him. As soon as I brought him out of the arena it was being held in, he was perfectly fine. I attributed it to a panic attack or something along those lines. Now I'm not so sure.

I know these are probably stand alone issues, but should I be worried? Anyone heard of anything like this.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest lat41065

lower spine issues ?? sometime spine or neurological disorders can cause urninary dysfunctions. A vet visit is definitely in order. Best Wishes, Lesley

Have you had him tested for tick borne diseases?

Also, how old is he and on which leg is he limping?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

No he hasn't been tested by me. I believe the adoption kennel did this test though. He came from New Hampshire, so I don't think tick borne disease is as common there.

So far all the vet did was look for a UTI and other related problems because thats what I thought was going on.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

They may or may not be related as you mentioned. I would have the vet look further. The incident at the arena may have been a pinched nerve. The TBD tests is good advice. Don't discount ticks in NH too quickly. I've seen dogs from there come in peppered with ticks. Hope you have some answers soon and Hobbes is feeling better.

Guest LovesDoggies

No he hasn't been tested by me. I believe the adoption kennel did this test though. He came from New Hampshire, so I don't think tick borne disease is as common there.

So far all the vet did was look for a UTI and other related problems because thats what I thought was going on.

I'm fairly sure that if the adoption kennel did a tick test, it was a "snap test" that only tests for three tick borne diseases (I think). A full tick panels tests for 60-ish tbds. (Not sure on the numbers. There are many posts on here re: TBDs.)

Did you discuss the limp with your vet? Or, did that only occur after the urinary issues started?

I have recently dealt with some neurological issues with one of mine. The vet examined his spine and explained that if it was a spinal issue, without doubt, he would definitely react to his spine being touched, by yelping and turning around at the person examining him. You could try running your hand down his spine to see if you get any reaction.

Does he nod his head slightly at all? Any balance issues, or just the limping?

If you can't find any medical cause, could he be generally anxious? :dunno

I'd investigate further, for sure. Run your fingers down his spine, pressing gently but firmly into each vertebral space. A healthy dog will actually let you press hard enough for his spine to dip slightly, but a dog with spine issues will tense, and flinch as you get near to the sore spot. If you hit the sore spot, he'll sink and may yelp/whip round/or even snap.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Regarding TBDs: racing Greyhounds move around a lot. It's possible that, even if your dog raced in New Hampshire, he was whelped in a different state, and trained in yet another. There may also have been some races in yet a different state, that may not show up on Greyhound-Data.

Therefore, testing for a multitude of TBDs, even ones that you'd never expect, is a wise idea.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I ran my hand down his spine tonight. There wasn't any response, so I don't think his back is hurting him. He actually did zoomies in our tiny condo tonight. His limp is a lot better then it was on Sunday. I really only notice it for the first few steps he take when he first gets up.

Did that episode look like it could have been a seizure to you?

I don't believe so, he was still focused on me.

Edited by greytluck

I would do a full screening for TBDs. Also, did your vet just do a urinalysis? If so, then a sterile urine culture might be in order. You might also consider running bloodwork. Urination problems could be due to a problem with the kidneys, which would likely show up on the bloodwork. That's where I would start. Also, put him on total rest (no zoomies or long walks, potty breaks only and leash him if you have a yard) to see if the limp gets better.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The limp is all but gone this morning. I'm hoping it was just a sore muscle or something like that. I have made an appointment with a grey savvy vet on Wednesday to discuss all these issues and look further into the causes of the urinary dysfunction. I hope she will have some answers for us.

Are you going to see Dr. Hall? She should be able to help. Cole had some similar problems to Hobbes and we got him fixed up in no time. ;)

Give me a call if you want more information.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Are you going to see Dr. Hall? She should be able to help. Cole had some similar problems to Hobbes and we got him fixed up in no time. ;)

Give me a call if you want more information.

Yep.

I've heard so many good things about her. Plus she got her dog from GRA so she's got to be a good person. LOL

Guest Kpparker

It could be an infection - is he licking his penis a lot? It happened to Tavi while we were at the vet (visiting Dr. Hall last year) and she said it was normal. If it keeps happening then it could be an infection, but she didnt give me anything for it at the time.

I just did an internet search and found this: Discharge

It says that it could be related to urinary incontinence... I'd wait till you see Dr. Hall and check with her. In the meantime maybe try to clean around his penis and make sure there's nothing down there that could be making it irritated.

Hope the vet appointment leads to some answers and solutions! Dr. Hall is awesome. I didnt get to see her when I took my 2 on Friday, we saw Dr. Ibrahim, an older guy who was very very nice with the pups. We'll have to get together and cry over vet bills after you go, lol.

Oh, dont forget that they are in a temporary location at the moment..its 110 Sheppard - and there's a sign on the north side, the place looks like a converted bungalow home (brown wood) and there's parking behind it (the turn is before the house, not after - I missed it)

Some discharge is normal, but green or yellow tinged discharge is likely an infection.

Has he had his urine tested? Bloods? It's just possible that this is a chronic kidney infection. Is he drinking a lot?

He did have his urine tested about two weeks ago. Results came back normal. He isn't drinking anymore then normal, although in my opinion he has always drank a lot of water. Some days he will drink 2- 4cup bowls dry.

Limping and collapsing incident could be soft tissue injury and cramp. I don't know if they are/were, mind you; just tossing it out there.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow, Hobbes's troubles could be a lot of things, from a tick disease, to a spinal thing, to even pancreatiits. (Is he eating OK?) I mention pancreatitis because our Cullen just went through this. Excessive drinking and peeing along with having to lie down on the cold ground outside (from off-and-on-fever, we found out) were the hallmarks of this. He eventually started vomiting and that took us into the vet really quickly.

A good exam and blood work, including a tick panel, would be a great way to start. PS. Cullen had Lyme twice so frequent testing isn't a bad idea. When he had the Lyme he was very nervous. Anyone who knows Cullen knows he isn't a nervous nelly type at all. LOL

Marcia in chilly SC

He did have his urine tested about two weeks ago. Results came back normal. He isn't drinking anymore then normal, although in my opinion he has always drank a lot of water. Some days he will drink 2- 4cup bowls dry.

In the past, Cole's urine tests always come back negative. Dr. Hall usually recommends a urine culture and that reveals his infection.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image