Infrequent Spay Incontinence?

I wonder from time to time if Grace has developed spay incontinence. Back in the spring she had an accident when a friend was staying with me, and then again a month later when I babysat two Boston Terriers. I attributed it to stress. I've noticed that she's occasionally had wet spots on her bedding from time to time. She's been tested several times for a UTI. This "wetting" ALWAYS occurs when she is laying down/sleeping on a dog bed or the couch, which leads me away from the UTI explanation. OR...could it be a UTI? Since this hasn't happened for 6-9 months or so....I'm not ready to discuss medication with the vet. If it becomes more frequent, I'll go that route, but for now one accident every 6 months is not cause for medication in my book. Just looking for thoughts, opinions, experiences. Grace will turn 5 in April and was spayed two years ago. Thanks.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Renie had just one incident like this where she was lying down and just leaked. I only realised it had happened because she looked round and began to lick her bottom.

It was shortly after a traumatic period of firework activity and we put it down to stress. I had all the tests done and they came back negative. I hadn't thought about stress causing this, but I've read since about several GTers dogs who do seem to leak while lying down due to stress. :dunno

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest tricolorhounds

My LabMix Cecily used to leak once in awhile while she was lying down... I would notice a wet spot on the couch when she would get up. She NEVER would have intentionally pee'd in the house. It never became more frequent than what you described.

We just had a similar episode during our Christmas travels with our 3 year old (and 4 months in our home) Ruby. Twice within an afternoon did she "leak" while lying on her bed, not asleep. We assumed a UTI, and took her to a vet where we were visiting. The Dr found no traces of infection and did not want to medicate so hoped/figured it could be stress. While we did not pick up any stress-signs from her, she has not had any leaking since. Others on this board suggested incontinence, and we will just continue to see what happens with her.

Like you say, if it is just a leak once-and-a-while, nothing worth treating with meds yet.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Our mixed breed has had this happen a few times over the holidays. I'm hoping that it's just stress since it has been pretty crazy with the holidays and helping my mom to move and everything else. It's interesting to read everyone else's experience and I'll be keeping an eye on things.