Teagan Threw Up Some Plastic

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

I gave the dogs brand new stuffies tonight (errr, last night). They have the squawkers inside that honk like a goose, basically it is a plastic baggie that inflates and it has a hard plastic tube at one end. Teagan is usually good about his toys but tonight he shredded his and pulled the squawker thing out. :rolleyes: The pieces looked like they were all there so I picked them up and threw them away. This was about 9:30 PM last night.

It is now 1:15 AM and Teagan just threw up a few pieces of chewed-up plastic. :( It looks like he did swallow some. One small piece was from the plastic baggie part, and 2 pieces were from the hard plastic tube part. He kept gagging afterwards, like coughing and swallowing but nothing coming out, for about a minute or two. I totally freaked out that he had something stuck in his throat, but he stopped. He's fine now. He curled right back up and went to sleep.

I offered him water but he didn't want it. He looks ok now, but I'm a little worried. It's been a long time since I've had a dog eat something that isn't edible and I'm a little paranoid about it, especially since the hard plastic pieces are a bit sharp.

Should I bring him to the vet tomorrow? Will the rest pass ok? What signs should I be looking for? If this were one of my other dogs I might not be as freaked, but Teagan is definitely more fragile and sensitive. My other dogs have iron stomachs but Teagan doesn't.

I'm eager for any responses. Thanks ahead of time. Off to clean the puke now....

~Lindsay~

I hope Teagan is doing well now. I would prob give him some bread to just help bind & coat his insides. Psi has doe this before and all was fine. That is my hope for you

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Most likely, Teagan will be fine. He probably threw up all that he ate. One of my youngsters is notorious for stuffie shredding with the occasional "snack". The imp is VERY good at sneaking a piece. Anyway, I'd just watch him for the next 24-48 hours for any signs of gastric distress or signs of discomfort. As long as Teagan is eating, drinking, pooping, playing, napping, etc like normal, he'll be ok.

Good advice above. If he does develop signs of distress -- repeated vomiting, severe diarrhea, both at once, etc., off to the vet with you!

Hugs and luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Honeysmom

Well, here's a subject that strikes a familiar chord. Can I count the times one of them has puked up some strange foreign object or pooped out stuff that isn't suppose to be there. I remember when I first adopted Honey and she ate the cat's toy mouse....boy was I worried! It all came out in a day or two so puking the foreign matter out right away is good. Then when Otis sneaked the ant trap and crunched most of it.....all came out in the wash so to speak. Of course there was the generous corner of the coffee table (when I was out) that was missing upon my return....all turned out ok. Cali's fettish was house plants for a time and that was bad but she did a good bit of puking from that. Whewwww...

I'm glad Teagen is feeling better.

I can't count the number of times I woke up to the sound of plastic pieces hitting the floor as Jack upchukked - after Jill came home. He was a perfect angel before :rolleyes: Luckily he has never suffered any adverse effects. I suspect Teagan will be just fine too.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytelectric

I was putting salmon oil on my male's food for his dry skin. My female got to the bottle while I was at work and proceeded to eat the entire plastic bottle - including the plastic pump. All I found was the spring. (And, of course, all the salmon oil!) That was 2 months ago. She's still here! I just monitored her stools to make sure things were passing. I'm sure your hound will be fine.

Guest gr84me

Yes, a familiar topic. I hope Teagan is fine, but you might want to keep an eye on him for a few days.

Brody had a similar experience a year and a half ago, with a very small piece of toy, and he ended up having surgery for an obstruction several days afterwards. He coughed up some of the toy (not all of it) and the rest lodged at the duodenal opening and blocked it. He was fine (eating, drinking, pooping) for several days, then he started vomiting and retching, so I took him to the vet just to check. Nothing showed on any X rays.

If you do decide to go to the vet, please don't let them do a barium x-ray (have them use a barium substitute instead), because if they need to do surgery they'll have to wait until the barium is absorbed or eliminated (which won't happen if he is obstructed).

Most times, things pass right through, but Brody was just unlucky, I guess.

Ah, yes, we won't re-tell the story of Joseph's surgery except to mention that the pieces causing blockage were in there for 8 flippin' months .... :lol

My vet said the barium isn't really a big deal unless you're a very sloppy surgeon -- there's stomach acid and poop and all kinds of other stuff in there that you don't want spilling out of the surgical site either. But. The lesson I learned, which may not always apply is, if in doubt, go in and look, and while you're in there, look at everything just in case.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest twofinegreys
Strider is notorious for eating plastic toys and hurking them up in the middle of the night. No ill effects except a grumpy mommy.
Yup, our Arrow is the same way. Though not just toys - his most recent incident involved my favourite tube of Philosophy lipgloss which he somehow sneaked out of my jacket pocket - he'd eaten half the tube and the cap, as well as all the "Muffin Man" lipgloss! :angry: Good news is, it all came up without much incident, and his breath smelled like lemon curd. :P

Sounds like he's going to be fine... phew! :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.