Foot Laceration

Guest Juliagulia630

Guest Juliagulia630

Happy New Year fellow greyhound lovers!! I'm in need of some advice. While out walking James yesterday, he stepped on a piece of glass and cut his foot right next to his big pad. It does not involve the pad at all. We got home, I irrigated it, put EMT gel and neosporin on it then wrapped it up. It stopped bleeding. It re opened once that evening when James stood up after a nap, I called our vet's cell (he made the mistake of giving to us!!) and he said to hold pressure, start cephalexein which we had in the house (like I said, injury prone dog!!) and come to the vet today for a stitch or two.

Well, it hasn't started bleeding again, even after jumping on and off the bed, going up and down stairs, and going on a short walk this morning. I didn't end up going to the vet since my vet said if it didn't bleed again, we'd be in the clear.

How long should I leave this dressing on? How often should I check on it? Anything else I should be putting on it and how often? He lets me touch it but limps from the ackward dressing.

Any suggestions would be helpful!! Thanks!!

I would change the dressing once daily for the time being. Soak the foot in a dilute iodine solution (the color of weak tea) to clean it, then let it dry, reapply the EMT gel and wrap it back up using a nonstick gauze pad, then vet wrap. Once it's healed enough that you can do this, I would start leaving it unwrapped overnight when he won't be on it, and muzzle with a poop guard to keep him from working on it if necessary - wounds heal much faster when they have access to air.

One note, if you are wrapping his foot, put cotton balls between his toes and in the "pocket" on the underside of his foot so that when he stands, his foot is in it's natural position rather than squished together so he doesn't develop sores or other issues. That may help with how he walks when the foot is bandaged as well.

Hope that helps.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would change the dressing once daily for the time being. Soak the foot in a dilute iodine solution (the color of weak tea) to clean it, then let it dry, reapply the EMT gel and wrap it back up using a nonstick gauze pad, then vet wrap. Once it's healed enough that you can do this, I would start leaving it unwrapped overnight when he won't be on it, and muzzle with a poop guard to keep him from working on it if necessary - wounds heal much faster when they have access to air.

One note, if you are wrapping his foot, put cotton balls between his toes and in the "pocket" on the underside of his foot so that when he stands, his foot is in it's natural position rather than squished together so he doesn't develop sores or other issues. That may help with how he walks when the foot is bandaged as well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for posting my exact words before I had to! :lol

Hope that helps.

:nod :nod :nod

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Our foster Dash managed to get a similar injury just this morning.

We follow a similar regimen, except instead of VetWrap, I use kid's socks- buy a 12-pack at Target for $4 or whatever, and just put that over the entire foot. I put a strip of tape about 1" down from the top of the sock around the leg, and then fold the top down over the tape so they can't get to it. Very "breathable" while preventing contamination and further injury.

It also makes it easier to check- one piece of tape, pop off the sock, look around, and put on a new sock if required.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)