2nd Question In One Day - Rimadyl

my boy got into a stash of Rimadyl, 75mg chewable,,, he ate about 10 of them!

should i induce vomiting?

I am visiting my parents in Phx.. i can find a vet if needed.......

thanks!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

How long ago did he get them? Short answer is probably yes. And call a vet, they may want to give fluids.

You know the hydrogen peroxide method for inducing vomiting?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

it's within that time, and yes i know the hydrogenperoxide trick,

Thanks... what should i look for over the next couple of hours?

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

sh*t yes!!! this is an anti-coagulant and he may bleed out....get this stuff out as soon as possible!!!! call your vet or an emergency vet asap!!!

Call your vet to ask what to look for....I'd get as much out of him as possible and watch him closely! But most def. CALL YOUR VET.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Call the vet. Vet will probably want to give him extra fluids.

IIRC, Rimadyl isn't that much of an anticoagulant -- less so than aspirin? -- and it has a pretty high margin of safety ... for dogs who tolerate it (at normal doses!). But unless the capsules come up pretty much whole, you'd want fluids to flush the stuff out of his system. NSAIDs are hard on the kidneys and liver.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

ok, that was gross,, and fast!

i found food and rimadyl tabs...... now,, should i do it again?

what else should i be looking for in symptoms? i did call a vet, they just said, induce vomitting and take him to the regular vet next week for blood tests.... mmmm seems like I wouldn't use them for my regular vet,, not much information or concern on their part...

anything else i should look for?

eta,, thanks Batmom,, just saw your last post. my boy has always tolerated the rimadyl very well, and all other pain drugs for that matter. I am going to make sure he drinks lots of water, and hold back food until morning.

thank you!

Edited by 3DogNite

Boy, that was a helpful vet, eh?

Do you estimate he threw up all or most of the tabs he ate? Wouldn't hurt to hydr. perox. him one more time and see what comes up.

AFAIK there's no reason to withhold food. He could have a small meal later, maybe give it 2-3 hours after he quits urping.

Lots of fluids would be good. Mine like 50-50 milk and water :) . Keep in mind he'll have to pee more if he's drinking more.

Other things to watch for would be any bloody vomit, blood in stool, very dark/orangey/reddish urine, not wanting to eat (once the vomiting is done).

it would probably be a good idea to feed him after he's done urping as NSAIDS can be hard on the stomach. human NSAIDS (Mobic, Celebrex, Relafen, Anaprox, Naproxyn etc) are always prescribed take with a full meal.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

thanks for the additional information. my boy has been giving me the evil eye and is running away from me... he's not very happy with me right now!

I thought about inducing one more time, however, it's now been more than 4 hours. I estimate 2-3 hours when i induced the first time, so at this point it's been 4+ hours since the little bugger got the stash!

I like the milk/water idea. and he's a food hog, so a little food will definatly make him feel better.

ok, well, i will dilligently look at all poo and pee that comes out of him, and sleep with one eye open !

thank you!!! :wubsite

Article on Rimadyl overdose, written by Dr. Anne Marie Manning (so prolly a little better than "just found it on Google"):

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/rimadyl-carpr...city/page1.aspx

If you need a local e-vet, gimmie a call: 480 722 9328. There are three clinics on the east side with 24 hour e-vets, dunno so much about the west side.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest alannamac

So glad you got it in time! Definitely as Batmom said, have his liver and kidney function enzyme levels tested several times after this.....

This stuff is nasty on the stomach too.....it's probably a good idea to have several days course on the carafate med (to coat the stomach and help it heal) But your vet should know for sure....just speaking from experience from a dog who had a bad reaction to Rimadyl.

So glad things are ok! :)

so far, it's a quiet evening. i'm hoping it remains so!

he's drinking, and pee'ing, he's had some food, he wanted a lot,, and he got a little... stinker!!!

i am worried about the liver and kidneys.. of course google is a wonderful tool, just abit toooooooo wonderful sometimes!

thank you all,, i will definatley be calling on the Phx greytalkers if anything more happens... for now,, sleep tight, don't let the bed-bugs bite..

kiss your babies,, life is precious and it only takes one second to see it all go away,,,

xoxoxo

oh you all are early birds this morning ~ i'm just a bit :nappy

Rascal did fine, slept all night long. I examined the poo and pee and all are normal. He is drinking and wants his morning breakfast like normal too! :food i think he feels good.

because it's Saturday, i think i'll wait till Monday to take him for a blood test,, oh, that's new years eve.. mmmm the holiday schedule messes things up a bit,,, anyway,, he will definitely get his blood work up done.

Thank you for keeping him in your prayers over night!

Happy New Year everyone!

Guest alannamac
oh you all are early birds this morning ~ i'm just a bit :nappy

Rascal did fine, slept all night long. I examined the poo and pee and all are normal. He is drinking and wants his morning breakfast like normal too! :food i think he feels good.

because it's Saturday, i think i'll wait till Monday to take him for a blood test,, oh, that's new years eve.. mmmm the holiday schedule messes things up a bit,,, anyway,, he will definitely get his blood work up done.

Thank you for keeping him in your prayers over night!

Happy New Year everyone!

Thank heavens he is ok :colgate