Between His Paws...bottom Of Foot..

Guest weisster

Guest weisster

Two weeks ago Darrel has the bottom of his foot stitched...bandaged for 2 weeks. On friday...stitches removed...told foot is healed. Well guess what split open again! Somehow I remember from a previous foot accident that the cut was too deep and in a bad position to stitch (as is obviously this case) and that it would heal from the inside out. Any advice? Of course I'm going to call the vet on Monday. NO, he's not bleeding all over the place but the wound is clearly not healed.

Advise, clean wound with warm, soapy water and rinse, then peroxide, then re-bandage(lightly) and tape onto ankle to secure, get a bootie.

Important to keep clean and dry until vet sees it.....got any leftover cephalexen or other doggie antibiotic?

Tough place to heal, as you say :goodluck

Keep us updated, ok?

When Beau had his cast/bootie off, he developed an open wound becasue it was so moist. Treat it with an antibiotic spray so it can be kept dry. Wish you lived closer.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest wmlcml6

This injury is happening everywhere lately! Rosemary cut open the bottom of her paw two weeks ago. It bled for over an hour! She still holds that paw up sometimes, but is finally walking on it more often than not. I think she actually cut part of her tendon because one of her toes sticks up a little now. ANYWAY, I bought a spray from the drug store called Dermoplast antibacterial and pain relieving spray (about $9). For the first week, every day I soaked her paw in epsom salts and warm water for about 10 minutes, and then sprayed the paw with the Dermoplast. Much easier than trying to put ointment on it since it was far too sore to pull apart her paw pads to get to the hurt area.

I was going to suggest soaking in epsom salts or nolvasan solution a couple times a day, but mama caffie beat me to it :) . To get it dry after, just take a little thin gauze and poke it in between the pads, let it wick the moisture out.

Like lulaz, I'd keep it covered when he goes outside or if he's trying to pick at it -- baby sock vet-wrapped around the ankle for indoors, add a plastic bag or a bootie for outside.

Good luck!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The vet recently told me that it's good to let the wounds heal from the inside out. I agree with the "clean and wrap, then go to vet" suggestion. Good luck!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)