Just Starting To Notice Some Problems

Guest whatahound

Guest whatahound

I just adopted Miss Gee back in October, she is 9 1/2 years old and a broodie. The last several days I have noticed that her back legs will be bent abit. She gets up fine from lying down and is eating well and seems to feel well. I am currently giving her Missing Link with glucousamine ( it contains 500mg ). I'm not sure if that is enough. She had a full vet work up in Sept and everything was in the normal range.

I have done some reading on LS and I have Dr. Stack's article. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to keep her comfortable. Should I be exercising her more or less? Right now weather permitting she walks about 1 mile per day. That is not counting the running in the back yard.

I know some hind end weakness is expected in older dogs but is 9 1/2 when I may start seeing it. My other two greys are 5 and 7 so I have not had to deal with this yet. Any insight would be very helpful, thank you in advance.

Guest Tenderhearts

Just a suggestion on the Missing Link. I had taken a package of that in to show my vet a few years ago and it's really not enough glucosamine. All my seniors take the GlycoFlex III which also has MSM in it for any pain. I've seen really good results with the Glyco.

Polli too is a 9 year olf brood momma. The only reason they are not breeding her anymore is that she has a "dropped hind quarters". I was told this by the farm she came by. Her gait is bit off at times but otherwise she is OK. She walks with the pack 3-4 x a day. 3/4 mile each time. If she looks off, she walks less.

Missing link is greyt but there is not enough glucosmine to make a difference. There are many other supplements including pure glucosomine that you can get through

www.greyhoundgang.com ALL proceeds go to the hounds.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Have you run your fingers down her spine (almost pinching... firm) Once you are in the lumbar region does she lose her back end completely?

How cold is your house? Might be due cold she may just be experiencing some stiffness from the cold. You may want to jammies on her or even just one of your old sweatshirts with the sleeves cut off..

I had an amazing mutt who developed arthritis very young... I would give him Get Up and Go glucosomine from GreyhoundGang... I also kept him warm in the winter... he had a devil of a time once the weather cooled off. His backend would really get tightened up. (Good thing for him that I live in Arizona! haha)

Guest whatahound
Have you run your fingers down her spine (almost pinching... firm) Once you are in the lumbar region does she lose her back end completely?

How cold is your house? Might be due cold she may just be experiencing some stiffness from the cold. You may want to jammies on her or even just one of your old sweatshirts with the sleeves cut off..

I had an amazing mutt who developed arthritis very young... I would give him Get Up and Go glucosomine from GreyhoundGang... I also kept him warm in the winter... he had a devil of a time once the weather cooled off. His backend would really get tightened up. (Good thing for him that I live in Arizona! haha)

I have noticed it since it's been cold, it is about 69 degrees in the bedroom at night. I try to keep her covered too. I went ahead and ordered a bottle of Glyco-flex III(thanks tenderheart) I have heard good things about it. I just want to do everything I can for my old girl to make sure she is healthy, happy and free of pain as long as possible. I just love her to pieces.

Guest Tenderhearts
I have noticed it since it's been cold, it is about 69 degrees in the bedroom at night. I try to keep her covered too. I went ahead and ordered a bottle of Glyco-flex III(thanks tenderheart) I have heard good things about it. I just want to do everything I can for my old girl to make sure she is healthy, happy and free of pain as long as possible. I just love her to pieces.

You are welcome :) I have seen great results from it. You will see on there that there is an initial 'loading' dose that will help it to build up in her system, and then you will drop down to a maintenance dose after a month.

We saw results fairly quickly here with my seniors, within a couple of weeks, but give it a month to see if it helps.

If she's limpy or stiff it's most likely arthritis. If she has trouble lifting her butt from a prostrate position, feet knuckle under or legs cross when walking, that's what I think of as 'hind end weakness' and then you're looking towards LS. G/C worked wonders for arthritis in my 12 and a half year old male. He had arthritis when I adopted him at 10. After a few months on G/C (1500/1000 per day), the stiffness went away and he's been on it for almost 3 years now. My younger dogs get it too. If it turns out that Miss Gee has LS, there is surgery available (my 6 yo had it) and your girl is young enough to consider that approach. Majority of LS dogs are very senior and are simply managed with depo medrol.

sounds like she is not too bad yet, but she definitely needs more supplements! Amanda (Guinness)'s spine test is good to check for LS.

If she starts having more problems, acupuncture and Adequan injections have really helped Sugar, but she didn't start having major problems until she was almost 12.