Ever Seen Anything Like This?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

So I went to trim Chase and Lulu's nails tonight and I admit it's been about two weeks since I did it (every time I did the foster's, he'd wear out the battery on the dremmel because his nails were so long!).

Well, when I got to Lu's final toe, I found something that looks like she got into something that pushed the skin up from the top of her nail. It looks/feels like scabs, it's not hot or red/irritated and it's not bothering her.

What do you think?

CIMG0147.jpg

CIMG0146.jpg

CIMG0145.jpg

CIMG0142.jpg

Edited by savvyprchick

Guest SillyDog

Well, it does look kind of red in the pics. Maybe something did get shoved up or maybe it's a growth of some sort. I'd take her in because if the skin around the toenail is disturbed she could get an infection without antibiotics and if it's a growth it's fast growing enough to be suspicious.

I hope it turns out well!

Gabriel had a toe that looked like this. Turns out that Gabriel had jabbed something into the area where his nail grew out of his toe -- probably just a stiff piece of grass. There was no foreign object left in, but the area did become irritated and slightly infected.

The vet shaved the area -- allowed him to see better and got the hairs out of the way so air and topical meds could get in. He then cleaned the area, and gave us a spray antibiotic to apply twice daily. Gabriel was already on an oral antibiotic for other reasons. In a day, it looked much better.

You could probably try most of the same first aid and get similar results. One of the nice things about the spray antibiotic was that it wasn't sticky so you might want to look for something similar. Having something gooey that will hold dirt next to an infected/irritated area isn't cool.

Hope your girl is better soon.

It does look like something is irritating it. Appears to be some inflammation around the nail (pink skin) so I would be worried there is some sort of irritant in that possibly may get infected. I would soak her foot in Epsom Salts if you can....a few times a day. That should help break it up and draw out any infection. If it gets any worse or doesn't improve I would take her in to get it checked out.

This happened to Fenway recently, and he did get an infection there. I didn't catch it until it was infected, and the vet had to clean it and sent me home with meds. I wish I would have caught it sooner, it was not fun. Poor puppy had to wear a boot and was limping for a few weeks. :( Bummer, Lulu...be careful!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

When we get funky nail beds here, we soak them in a warm providone-iodine solution or an epsoms salts bath a couple of times a day. Also, black drawing salve (usually used on horses) (icthammol) put over the swollen area, keep impurities out.

We also put a small band of tape around the nail at the top. It helps keep sand and debris from getting in there.

Where it is really swollen, I'd consult with your vet. Just to make sure it's not an infection that will spread and that there's nothing foreign in there.

Possibly SLO / pemphigus (unsure of spelling).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest savvyprchick

I think I'll keep an eye on it and use the Epsom Salts I have here like a lot of you suggested. If it changes at all for the worse, I'll definitely take her in immediately! Thanks!

Looks like she jammed her nail back. Turbo does that a good deal. Give it a nice soak, clean the area around it and use some Neosporin to make sure that it doesn't get infected.

Actually, looking at the pics again, she might have an infection there already. Clean it off really well and see what it looks like then.

MOSP's advice is very good.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest savvyprchick
Looks like she jammed her nail back. Turbo does that a good deal. Give it a nice soak, clean the area around it and use some Neosporin to make sure that it doesn't get infected.

Actually, looking at the pics again, she might have an infection there already. Clean it off really well and see what it looks like then.

MOSP's advice is very good.

I tried cleaning it off and nothing came off. I've pressed on it to see if there was pus or anything and there isn't. Did the Epsom Salts this morning and will try again tonight.

Never mind - I was suggesting going after it with mild soap and water and a soft-bristled toothbrush, but it looks clean when I enlarge the photo. Try puting some antiobiotic ointment on it a few days and see if that swelling goes down. If not, she may have a nailbed infection and you'll need oral antibiotics :(

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Just keep it clean and wash it in epsom salts. Put some polysporin/neosporin or some type of antibacterial ointment on it after you wash it.

Icarus, Echo and Atlas have all done something similar and with care, they cleared right up without vet intervention. Naturally, if it progresses any, take her to the vet.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest BlackandBrindle

The vet told me for Spud's irritated dew claw, which was red and he was bothering it, to soak it in warm epsom salt water and to give benadryl. We took a non-aggressive approach, and while he did prescribe antibiotics at one point, they were not necessary.

Hopefully with the soaking it will get better soon!

Guest savvyprchick

Well, I soaked it in Epsom this morning for only about 5 minutes and when I went to soak it again tonight, it was soooo much better! If it gets worse or changes (other than getting better), she's definitely going to the vet, though.