Hookworms And Whipworms Anyone?

Guest Shelby_Dog

Guest Shelby_Dog
:( So, my new greyhound Shelby STILL has hookworms. This time, the vet found whipworms too!!! I just got her in October. We took her to her initial vet appointment and they had found hookworms. They gave her a shot and gave us medicine tp give her ar home. We were told to bring her back in 3 weeks. So today was our visit and she still has hookworms. The vet said that it had to be her environment and gave her another shot, medicine, and said come back in three weeks. We also started Shelby on Iverhart Max when we first got her in October. How in the world do we get rid of these nasty little things? It grosses me out completely. HELP!!! :eek

Been there and done that. Scott had a terrible case when he came, they are tough to get rid of and often take several rounds of meds to get them under control. I did a lot of research and found Panacur to be the best for hook and whip. Although other medications are labeled for use with hook and whip the others lack the main active ingredient that works best for hooks and whips. Fenbendazole. Recommended doasage is 3 times, 3weeks apart over a period of 9 weeks. Then retest a stool sample, although you can get a negative test and still have the worms. The interceptor will help keep any remaining worms from reproducing, but won't kill adult worms. The eggs hang out in the stomach and at a certain age gravitate to the intestines, the meds work in the intestines and the first round will not necessarily kill the larvae in the stomach or the young worms in the small intestines who are traveling to their preferred 'home'. Also, the eggs can survive in your yard/dirt for years, only to be ingested down the road and reinfect your dog. My research also reccomended Interceptor be given year round for life to keep them at bay. It was a long road with Scott and many rounds of meds to finally get them under control. If you have other dogs they all should be treated at the same time, picking up stool in the yard promptly will help minimize infecting the soil further.

Good Luck and keep working at it, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by laceyj

From what I've been able to find and my vet's recommendation both say Interceptor is preferrable. Although all heartworm meds contain ingredients that help protect infestation of other types of worms, Interceptor is believed to be better at preventing reinfestation of Hook and Whipworms.

Iverheart Max protects against roundworms and hookworms (and heartworm). Interceptor prevents roundworms, hookworms and whipworms. If you live in an area with whipworms, go with the Interceptor. It should keep her clean once you get this cleared up. Heartguard does not prevent whipworms either.

Guest Shelby_Dog

OK. I called the vet and the person who answered the phone (not the vet) said that Sentinel and Interceptor are the same and that they carry Sentinel. I could have sworn someone told me that Sentinel cannot be used on Greyhounds. She also told me she could order the Interceptor for me too, but was a little pulled-away when she said that they had Sentinel. Is Sentinel bad for greyhounds?

Sentinel and Interceptor contain the same active ingredient for worms. Sentinel contains an added ingredient that acts as birth control for fleas. Both are perfectly safe for greyhounds and all breeds of dogs.

Lynn

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Oxfenbendazole - Synanthic 22.5%, kills hooks, rounds, and whips, if given in the proper dosage. Oxfenbendazole is in the fenbendazole family (obviously) but does a better job on whips as well.

Guest LindsaySF
:( So, my new greyhound Shelby STILL has hookworms. This time, the vet found whipworms too!!! I just got her in October. We took her to her initial vet appointment and they had found hookworms. They gave her a shot and gave us medicine tp give her ar home. We were told to bring her back in 3 weeks. So today was our visit and she still has hookworms. The vet said that it had to be her environment and gave her another shot, medicine, and said come back in three weeks. We also started Shelby on Iverhart Max when we first got her in October. How in the world do we get rid of these nasty little things? It grosses me out completely. HELP!!! :eek

Deworming medicine only works on adult hookworms. Part of the life cycle involves larval migration where they 'hide out' in the tissues, and those larvae can't be killed by dewormers. But Interceptor is supposed to take care of the larvae. :)

Deworming 3-4 times a few weeks apart is standard protocol for hooks (or should be).

~Lindsay~

"DHPPC Puppy 2nd Shot"

and Panacur 3 Day Treatment 61-80

The shot doesn't have anything to do with worms, it was a vaccination type shot.

The Panacur is all that was given for the worms. :)

Click on this link for explanation of what shots were given. shot explanation link

It would be a good idea when you take Shelby to the vet for you to be sure they explain to you what they did, and why or what it's for. :)

Edit to ask....is Shelby a puppy?

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Sampson came to me with a nasty case of hooks in August. He was given safeguard and 3 weeks later I blasted him with Panacur and 3 weeks after that he had another round of panacur. He is worm free now! All mine are on Interceptor year round...

Hooks and whips can be tough to get rid of. Couple rounds of good wormer should do it tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Also - scoop up poop in the yard immediately. Wormies can get into the soil, and the dogs re-infect themselves by walking in it (or the ground the wormies go into) and then licking their paws. Also- if you go to a dog park a lot, it may get picked up there.

I'm pretty sure I read this here - but don't have a good reference - so anyone please correct me if I've mis-spoken.

I'd also put her on a monthly, maintenance type worm-preventative - Sentinal, or Interceptor. Once you clear up this bout - the preventative meds "should" keep her from getting it again.

Guest LindsaySF
Also - scoop up poop in the yard immediately. Wormies can get into the soil, and the dogs re-infect themselves by walking in it (or the ground the wormies go into) and then licking their paws. Also- if you go to a dog park a lot, it may get picked up there.

I'm pretty sure I read this here - but don't have a good reference - so anyone please correct me if I've mis-spoken.

Hookworm larvae live in the soil and penetrate the skin of the paws. Whipworm eggs must be injested.

Guest LindsaySF
Hookworm and round worms are also zoonotic. They're not picky. They'll just assume crawl into your own skin as your pet's.

Ingesting animal roundworm eggs won't give you roundworms (you need to ingest the human version for that), but you can get a condition called larva migrans. The eggs hatch and the larvae form cysts in the tissues.

Animal hookworm larvae can penetrate your skin, but they only cause a temporary rash. :) Your immune system takes care of them pretty quickly.