Greyhounds, Cats Die In House Fire

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

God Speed little ones. :cry1 :cry1

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

LORI TOBIAS

The Oregonian Staff

WALDPORT -- Rayetta Holder was headed home Sunday after a weekend in Medford finding families for the greyhounds she rescues when a friend called to warn her that high winds and rising waters had closed the roads from the valley to the coast.

Rather than wait out the storm, Holder decided to drive to Portland to pick up donated dog food for Homes for Hounds, the nonprofit she founded that adopts out retired greyhounds.

Then came the second call, this time from the caretakers who live behind the greyhound kennels.

"Your house is on fire," a tearful Holder recalls hearing.

"Are my dogs outside?" she asked.

"No."

In that instant, Holder learned that six greyhounds awaiting adoption, two greyhounds that were her pets, and five kittens she'd rescued recently were dead.

The caretakers also lost a dog and a cat. The property sustained substantial damage.

"No dog in our care had ever died before," Holder said. "The house can be repaired, but my dogs will never come back. I'm not sure I can ever live in my house again."

From what Holder can piece together, the fire began after a caretaker lit candles during a power outage, then fell asleep. His wife arrived home early from her job and was able to awaken him and their daughter and get them out.

Holder wonders whether the animals could have been saved. "I guess they tried to go back inside," she said, "but it was too hot."

Holder began working with the sleek dogs known for their sweet natures and incredible speed in 1988, after seeing a TV show about killing greyhounds no longer able to race. Since then, the nonprofit has adopted out more than 2,000 dogs and has holding kennels and volunteers throughout the state.

"This is a great tragedy for the greyhound community, as well as our community at large," said Sheila Sammons, dog rescue coordinator for the Central Coast Humane Society. "She's done such good work and her compassion and passion for doing this and doing it for so long is just admirable."

Holder is in Portland awaiting the arrival of her daughter before returning to Waldport. Meanwhile, she's trying to keep her mind on the adoption event next weekend in Eugene.

"Homes for Hounds is not done," said Holder. "We would not do this if we did not love these animals. They are the most loving creatures you will ever be around."

Guest hamiesmom

Run free like the wind, babies. Rayetta, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that your heart is breaking but you will be back to give other sweet animals another chance at finding their forever homes.

Guest dwolfe711

:omg:ohno:sad1:cry1 So much sad news on the Board today - I cannot imagine the horror and sadness of a situation like this - there are no words to convey our sorrow :grouphug

Run free sweet babies :gh_run - run free with all the other Angels at the Bridge -

Donna

:weep:weep:weep There are no words to express my sorrow at this tragic loss.

Prayers for the ones lost and for their families.

:f_red:f_pink:f_whitef_yellow

Edited by maryz

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Machbragal

This is SO very sad. RIP sweet ones.

Sadly, many animals died in the recent storm we had here in the Pacific Northwest.

A great rescue organization, Pasado's Safe Haven, is very actively trying to help rescue animals in the devastated areas. I just called in a donation to the feed store that gives them a discount for hay and other products. You can read more about the devastation on animals and what Pasado is doing at this site:

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/HOMEPAGE/12_FLOOD/Flood.htm

:cry1 So, so sad. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:brokenheart

RainbowSky.jpg

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown