Need Acupuncture Opinions

Guest Temira

Our boy, Chewie, has a chronic leg injury on his rear left leg. I think he had a serious soft tissue injury at some point and the leg is weak. We've been working with our vet for a year and have done x-rays, blood tests, corn check, and consulted an orthopedist. I just want him to be more comfortable. The last time, our vet recommended two options: (1) acupuncture and referred us to a nearby veterinary acupuncturist or (2) Adequan - an injection that our vet would do.

We're thinking acupuncture. I'm meeting the acupuncture vet next week and wanted to get people's opinions. The office told me that their normal course is to first have an introductory visit and treatment for 1-1.5 hours. Afterwards, you have a weekly 1/2 hour appointment for 4-6 weeks. Then the appointments spread out to every two weeks, every month, every three months, etc. She said you normally see results after a few weeks.

Has anyone tried this? How has it worked out?

I did it for my angel Bailey's neck issues...and she did seem to feel better afterwards. it took a few visits before noticing. one thing my vet did, that I haven't heard anyone else mention here, is she held what looked like a short, fat incense stick to the end of the needles to warm them...that really seemed to help a lot. it certainly can't hurt to try acupuncture and there's a real probability that it will help...I say, go for it!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Turbo has had acupuncture, but as it turned out, he didn't need it (corn *sigh). I would certainly recommend it. Most dogs keel over and fall asleep. Worth a shot and may help!

Are you going to that place in Vienna?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest lucylaruh
Our boy, Chewie, has a chronic leg injury on his rear left leg. I think he had a serious soft tissue injury at some point and the leg is weak. We've been working with our vet for a year and have done x-rays, blood tests, corn check, and consulted an orthopedist. I just want him to be more comfortable. The last time, our vet recommended two options: (1) acupuncture and referred us to a nearby veterinary acupuncturist or (2) Adequan - an injection that our vet would do.

We're thinking acupuncture. I'm meeting the acupuncture vet next week and wanted to get people's opinions. The office told me that their normal course is to first have an introductory visit and treatment for 1-1.5 hours. Afterwards, you have a weekly 1/2 hour appointment for 4-6 weeks. Then the appointments spread out to every two weeks, every month, every three months, etc. She said you normally see results after a few weeks.

Has anyone tried this? How has it worked out?

I've done both and both are great. One of my dogs had surgery on her knees and adequan noticably helped during the recovery period. As soon as she had the shot she would walk just fine for a month before I had to take her in for another one. Same dog had acupuncture when the vet accidently hit her sciatic nerve while giving her an allergy shot. She could barely walk and I honestly didn't believe in it until I saw how quickly she responded. The first session there was no improvement but after the second session she was sore for a day or so but after that she was like a puppy again. She went for 7 weeks/7 treatments and each week she got better still. I am a believer now.

Guest Mommydog

I can't speak highly enough of it. It healed a ruptured cruciate ligament for my bridge boy Raffie. I've always seen results much sooner than a few weeks. In fact with Raffie it always worked pretty much right away. Around 20% dogs don't respond to it, so I hope Chewie isn't one of them. But I would definitely give it a try if I were you. Good luck.