Charm Got Nipped....

Guest charmsmom

for that I would keep it clean and uncovered. If it starts to spread wider I would go to the vet to have a simple staple or stitch put in. If you go to the vet I would also ask for an antibiotic either in a spray or pill form.

Guest Winterwish

Is that a puncture wound at the top part? If there's a puncture wound,that warrants going to the vet. If the oozing is blood,coupled with a possible puncture wound,I'd go to the vet to make sure too.

Feel better Charm ~ :dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

If you need to ask, he probably needs to go to the vet. hugs to handsome Charm... and a cookie.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ouch! Poor Charm. I'd take him to the vet -- looks like it's big enough to stitch up and maybe drain. Feel better Charm!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest Winterwish

Puncture wounds can go unnoticed for sure. It's one of the things to check for if there's an injury involving something that has that ability to puncture,whether a tooth,even a random twig sticking up in the yard,etc.

Hope all goes well!

Guest ThunderPaws

If it's only the outer layer of skin I wouldn't worry, but if it's a deeper puncture wound you may want to take him in to have it flushed out and maybe stitched.

If you carefully lift up the skin, is it separated and is there a deep hole underneath? Or is the outer skin still attached?

Hope your vet does it under local anesthesia, some vets get surgery happy and want to put the dog under just for a little stitch.

Guest Greyhoundbaby

Well, that's what Gryf's looked like after Julie taught him that "no" means "no"!

PB090002.jpg

This is after 7 stitches...

Edited by Greyhoundbaby

Guest charmsmom

Paris has to go tomorrow anyway, so I'm going to take him along and let her eyeball it. She's generally pretty good about that kind of thing. If it doesn't need anything, she'll tell me and not charge. If it does, she does what is necessary and no extra. I'll keep you guys posted, though.

The skin isn't separated, but there is a mild puncture. It's not very deep, but I think it does go beyond the first layer of skin.

A wound that size on Fenway, courtsey of Grace, gave us 14 stitches.....8 internal and 6 external. It didn't look *that* bad, but I'm sure glad we went to the vet.

ouch.jpg

ouch5.jpg

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Please keep us posted. Feel better cham and a hug for mommy.

Edited by beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest charmsmom

Well, we're back. Paris is fine...no calcified tendons and no osteo (YAY!) Vet thinks it's just a soft-tissue injury that hadn't been treated by her previous family. :angryfire

As for Charm, well....he was such a good boy!!! She didn't have to sedate him! Just a local anesthetic! :wub:

l_c750f47d0cfb4cebfad970bd82744a6d.jpg

12 staples. From a vet that owns two greys of her own....very savvy! She gave us some metacam, gave him a dose of Cephalexin, and he goes back in 10 days to get them out. Paris is going to start using Cosaquin, and Charm, too, just as a preventative measure.

The good thing is that Charm wiggled his way into her heart and now she's going to think about fostering!! :D She's going to do it...just debating whether to do it now or after she gets married. Of course, I gave her the website and phone number for PRH and told her I'm working there this weekend. :)

Guest FrostyBottoms

Way to take one for the team Charm! So it's all worth it if another greyhound finds a forever home....or is even just fostered until they find a forever home.

Frosty is happy you are all stapled up now! Vinny was at the vet for a similar thing today...see Vinny's thread....