Age For Spaying?

Guest weycoolgrey

Guest weycoolgrey

Daisy just turned 5 months old on the 26th. Our vet said she could be spayed between 6 and 8 months. I'm just curious about when others have had their grey puppies spayed/neutered? I guess I was surprised that they do it that young- I was thinking around a year old :dunno

It really depends on what you want. 6-8 months is average, and what I'd recommend for most people. The truth is, you really want to have it done before her first heat cycle (which can be as late as 2 for Greys), so you avoid the problems associated with that. In addition, there are studies that show a bitch is less likely to develop mammary cancers in later years, if spayed before her first heat.

Personally, I prefer to wait till a large breed is at least 12-18 months old, because they look more mature once they've developed that far. The hormones produced by the reproductive organs dictate when the growth plates on the bones close, so without them, you'll have a narrower, taller dog (typically). BUT - that is ALL ABOUT the look, and most people din't care. Nor should they! It changes nothing about the dog's personality, trainability, etc. It's just my personal opinion, and truthfully, I feel you should schedule the spay ASAP.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

We decided to wait until Raven turned a year old. I am no expert, so please do your own research, but what I remember finding was that later spays can increase the risk of mammary tumors later on, but early spays can increase the risk of bone cancer.

I believe Dr Feeman recently posted about the "early spays causing bone cancer" not being true, but now I can't find the post. My cat was spayed at 8 weeks, right before I adopted her from the shelter. 6 months is usually the norm, but they are doing them younger and younger, and in my opionion, that's better. They also seem to recover faster when they are younger, at least to me.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Later spays, especially after the first heat can result in complications later in life - such as mammary tumors and stump pyometra. (or at least that is my understanding)

I agree - definitely before the first heat (and that can be tricky to time, since you don't know it's too late until it's too late). There was a study done about spayed/neutered dogs being taller and I believe the average height difference was something like 1/4 or 1/2 of an inch - hardly noticeable if you ask me. If I were you, I would schedule the surgery soon.

Fenway was neutered before he came to me, he was around 3.5 months I believe. He and his three littermates did great! I didn't have that choice to make on my own, so I never thought twice about it. Just wanted to post so that you could see the experience of someone getting altered earlier than Daisy.

If it was me.....I'd spay sooner rather than later, but I'd also find a time that I was not distracted and could give most of my time and attention to my pup during recovery. With the holidays coming soon I'd imagine you'd like her all healed up by then.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest weycoolgrey
With the holidays coming soon I'd imagine you'd like her all healed up by then.

That's very true! I think I will make the appointment this week then to start the process.

Thanks everyone!

My boy was snipped at 16 or 17 weeks, and my girl was spayed at about 5 months. After having a 100lb male lab who went through a window and chased a family out of their home to get to their little in heat chihuahua when I was growing up, I wasn't taking any chances with Jack - I don't know who in the neighborhood has intact females. And with Chloe, she was spayed by the adoption group before I got her, but I would've done it soonest anyway. I was aware of the mammary cancer issues from my vet, and with a dog as quick and agile as a grey, I wouldn't want to risk her getting out to go look for a boyfriend if she went into heat before I could get her spayed, not to mention the gentleman callers that would come courting.

My vet reccomends speying before the first heat if the animal is not a show/breed (he has photos of champion bitches and their pups that are patients of his) so for small and toy breeds its anywhere from about 4 months medium sized about 6 months and larger to giant anywhere from 6 to 12 months. he preferrs to err on the side of caution. Holly was done at 5.5 months old and was fully recovered (at least in her opinion) in about 4 hours :wacko::blink:

youger speying is harder work to keep them settled and quiet but they do bounce back much quicker than older dogs.

Guest BooMooandDoo

We had Mazie spayed at 6 months. . . .

I wanted to do it earlier, but the group we got her from "strongly suggested" that I wait. We compromised at 6 months . . . .and she got spayed at 6 months to the day :D

I agree - definitely before the first heat (and that can be tricky to time, since you don't know it's too late until it's too late). There was a study done about spayed/neutered dogs being taller and I believe the average height difference was something like 1/4 or 1/2 of an inch - hardly noticeable if you ask me. If I were you, I would schedule the surgery soon.

I agree completely about spaying earlier than later, don't get me wrong.

And I stand corrected regarding the height issue. But the difference in the look of maturity is not just opinion. And, often, the earlier a dog is altered, the longer the legs are, in proportion to the body, giving the appearance of a taller, less substantial dog.

Again, though, this is all cosmetic, and while it would be my choice to wait, I encourage most other people to do the surgery as young as possible. It prevents so many problems...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Greensleeves

I know that the shelters around here are spaying as young as 6 and 8 weeks (and have been for at least six years now), but when we asked about the puppies, our vets preferred to wait until 6 months. I think the feeling is that while it *is* safe to spay that young, if there's not a pressing need (like not trusting the people who are adopting to come back and get it done), they prefer to wait until the dogs are a bit more developed (probably a lot easier to find the ovaries on a 30 lb dog than a 2 lb one!).

But yes: definitely before the first heat cycle... or you can all too easily end up in a situation like ours: in heat as a puppy, getting lost, knocked up by mulitple partners, and hit by a car before finally being found by good samaritans. Unfortunately, that doesn't always have the happy ending Nelly and her pups got.

Guest DoofBert

We waited (at the counsel of our vet) till 10 months to spay Tania....his research indicated Gh usually don't come into heat til 12 -14 months.

If she starts displaying 'attitude' you may want to have her done earlier.

Guest weycoolgrey

She has been displaying "attitude" since day one :P

Thanks everyone- I called the vet today.

We waited (at the counsel of our vet) till 10 months to spay Tania....his research indicated Gh usually don't come into heat til 12 -14 months.

Did your vet say that there was an advantage to waiting?

I made an appt. for mid November for Roo. Our vet said it's less expensive if it's before six months and the dog heals quicker. If it makes a difference, I don't mind waiting. The whole idea of Roo, anesthesia and surgery has me worried like an overprotective mom.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I agree completely about spaying earlier than later, don't get me wrong.

And I stand corrected regarding the height issue. But the difference in the look of maturity is not just opinion. And, often, the earlier a dog is altered, the longer the legs are, in proportion to the body, giving the appearance of a taller, less substantial dog.

Again, though, this is all cosmetic, and while it would be my choice to wait, I encourage most other people to do the surgery as young as possible. It prevents so many problems...

Elphie (and her littermates) was spayed very early... less than 4 months old. She is VERY tall for a female greyhound... almost 31 inches at the shoulder. We have met one of her littermates who is a tall, lean girl but she is nowhere near as tall as Elph. When she kept growing taller and taller, I thought maybe it was because she was spayed so young but after meeting her sister, I don't think that is why. I think she's mixed with Great Dane! :lol:blink:

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest trevdog

We had Dallas spayed at 6 months as well. Our grey vet recommended it. She is tall and lanky, but we love her that way! He told us most greys don't have cycles until after a year old, many older than that. A friend of mine waited until hers was a year old and she is much more filled out than Dallas. Dallas was only out of commission for a day, and back to her crazy self 2 days later, didn't change her personality one bit.

Edited by trevdog