Successful Racer - Reitred - Activity Level

Guest kick

Guest outofsighthound

Curious......

In Dec. our girl will have been with us for 3 wonderful years. She came to us directly from the track at 5 1/2 years old. Stats show she ran 181 races.

She is now 8 1/2 and most days she acts like she is only 3 ! We walk her everyday after work and when I get home and bring her upstairs where she goes crazy! My house becomes her personal race track while I get myself ready for the walk. I'm surprised at her energy level. And, about every three days she NEEDS to run (she has her own outside track too). If she can not for some reason, stuffies watch out!

Is this normal? Not complaining one bit mind you, and I love to see her happy. I'm just wondering if this is typical? I just can't imagine having her in my house when she was really 3 years old.

Guest Scouts_mom

I think it really varies depending on the dog.

My Mindy will be 7 this December. She raced and then was a brood mama. I call her my Bouncer, because after a few days of light exercise, she bounces all over the house, me and her sister and she NEEDS to run.

I got my Scout when she was 3. She raced well, then broke a leg and was retired. She was full of energy until about 5 when, she decided walks were okay and, while running was nice, she didn't need to do it every week.

OH HOW I ENVY YOU! My Polli is 8.5 years old and after a racing career, she became a brood mama. Now, finally, she is home with us.

For the last 2 weeks she has been limping and no one can figure out what the problem is yet...

So, in answer to your question, is it normal?

YES! For a happy, loved, healthy in body and mind dog, it sure is! Enjoy her. I envy you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Really depends on the dog.

I have had 11 Greyhounds. The most active (and I have adopted from 3mos to 9yo) was a 9yo retired brood Mom. Rachel ran every single day until she died 2 months shy of her 14th birthday. Snow, rain, heat - didn't matter. She ran laps every single day.

The 2 retired stud dogs - neither cared to ever run again. A trot was a lot for them.

And the 2 Greyhound puppies I adopted couldn't hold a candle to Rachel.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

My dog is 5, and ran 135 races. While he loves his long walks, he seems pretty content to sleep! He retired in February.

Your dog must have been one heck of a runner. I think that's the most races I've heard of so far!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Holly raced until she was four years old...she is 8 1/2 now and she sounds like your girl. Holly gets three walks a day and she is always up for more...she amazes me with her energy!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest outofsighthound
OH HOW I ENVY YOU! My Polli is 8.5 years old and after a racing career, she became a brood mama. Now, finally, she is home with us.

For the last 2 weeks she has been limping and no one can figure out what the problem is yet...

So, in answer to your question, is it normal?

YES! For a happy, loved, healthy in body and mind dog, it sure is! Enjoy her. I envy you.

Thank you, wishing your Polli well, and I do cherish my girl.

Thanks to all who responded, this is quite interesting.

I really think my girl enjoyed "chasing" another dog while racing and not so much izzy.