Vaccination Cost Differences

We don't go to our "regular" vet for shots because he charges a $60 office call. Several clients just brought in reciepts from them and here were the costs:

Office call $55

Hazardous waste fee $5

Giradia $43 (every 6 months)

Rabies $22

DHPP $25

Lepto $22

Bordatella $22 (every 6 months)

Heartworm test $35

That comes to $229, but with the 6 month boosters that brings annual fees for shots to over $350 :blink:

We get Rabies, DHLPP and Heartworm test every 3 years and heartworm test in between at another vet that has walk in shot clinics three days a week.

My regular vet would be:

$60 office call and waste fee

$35 heartworm test

$22 rabies

$25 DHPP

$22 Lepto

total $164

At the other vet we pay:

$20 heartworm test

$7 rabies

$10 DHLPP

total $37 for the exact same shots and test

I know there is the "they need a wellness checkup every year" theory, but all my guys are in the vet for an owie or some other reason at least once a year.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest DorasMom

I love my vet too!!! Haven't been in for shots yet because they aren't due but a couple of weeks ago I had Dora in for a dental and a few small things. She had a senior blood panel, an electrolyte panel, three days antibiotics for before the dental, fixed her dew claw which was broken at a 90 degree angle, the anesthetic, a shot of antibiotics during the procedure and the cleaning, total--220.00. And she got a good nail clipping while she was asleep, the dew claw was done a couple of days before making it a separate thing altogether.

We get rabies and dhpp done by the mobile vet: $12 total.

OMG that is insane! that is wonderful. I don't think I have ever walked out of the vet here without dropping $350.00. Yeesh. :eek

I wish things were different, but that's just the way it is. They also give us 20% off because of multiple dogs.

I was thinking about changing my direct deposit to go directly into the vets account. :huh

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest goodtimekid

OMG that is insane! that is wonderful. I don't think I have ever walked out of the vet here without dropping $350.00. Yeesh. :eek

I wish things were different, but that's just the way it is. They also give us 20% off because of multiple dogs.

I was thinking about changing my direct deposit to go directly into the vets account. :huh

At least you get a multi discount, we asked our vet and she just laughed, turned around and left the room.

It costs us at least 300-500 yrly per dog for shots, tests, meds etc....

I wish we could find a vet that had we could just have the shots and testing done more reasonable. With 3 dogs it gets pricy.

Guest KennelMom

I'd look around your area for vaccination clinics. SPCAs or other humane organizations often offer them to encourage people to have their pets vaccinated. There's no reason our primary vet has to do their vaccinations...the mobile vet does them and we take the paperwork to our regular vet so they can update their records. Not to mention, it's a LOT more convenient for us.

Our reg vet does give us multiple dog discounts and cuts us good deals on most things since they treat 18 of our animals (14 dogs + 4 cats). :blink: The only reason they don't see the rabbits is b/c they don't treat small animals :rolleyes:

I'll just give one aspect of your vet's perspective:

The money generated from vaccines may be used to subsidize other aspects of the clinic. For example,

Most vets are given an "allowance" in order to attend continuing education annually. Money generated by the hospital will allow vets to attend larger national conventions where more comprehensive information and newer research is shared. Some vets/clinics fulfill their CE needs by filling out short quizzes in journals and never make it to a big convention. The advantage... by spending $50 annually on CE per doctor instead of $1000 they can charge less. The disadvantage... they are really cheating themselves of true continuing education and thus their clients/patients

IV pumps are used to administer fluids at an appropriate rate to a patient (mls/hour). Without an IV pump you can set an IV to drip at X drops/minute. Teh problem is that as an animal moves, the way the leg is positioned the drops may change. Without an IV pump to regulate this it may go unnoticed and an animal won't receive the fluids desired by the vet. The pumps cost >$1000 and their cost is often not ever recovered. Because it is better medicine, the cost for a product like this must be absorbed by other areas of revenue (i.e. vaccines). On a similar level, a high speed drill for extractions, a ultrasonic scaler, dental radiography, etc. may not pay for themselves but all provide better medicine to teh patient. Some of these costs are also offset by vaccinations, pharmacy, etc.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg