Giardia Vaccine

Yesterday we had three different clients bring in booster updates from my vet -- that we do not use for vaccines. The first dog had a $43 giardia vaccine on the bill stating it was due again in 6 months. We didn't pay too much attention as it was a lab and thought maybe the owner chose to do it as he went to the lake a lot, but the next two dogs that had received giardia vaccines were a bassett and a terrier mix.

As far as I know and from what I can find Giardia is pretty worthless and not recommended. I am just wondering if there was some sort of change as this is an AVHA vet.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

No change that I am aware of. I use vets that still give shots every year (not to my dogs but the rest of their clients) even though their own organization has guidelines that differ.

Seems I read something about this on another list. How long has the vaccine been out?

No, I wouldn't give it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

It's probably like getting the Lepto vaccine. My former vet tried to guilt me into getting the lepto, giardia AND bordatella. I still refused and she basically said that I'm taking my dogs lives into my own hands. ... I stress the word Former

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I wouldn't give the giradia. I do use the DHLPP instead of DHPP every 3 years as lepto has been a bit of a problem around here in the past few years.

It is funny though...the medical director -- who is my main vet -- has discussed with me several times how bordatella is really not very effective, but all his deep pocket clients seem to get it. :blink

I wonder if some vets just know when people walk in they'll pay anything and pad the shot bill accordingly. Giradia here, bordatella there.... In this case I am also questioning the exrtra $22 for the lepto given on the same day as DHPP> If you are giving it at the same time why not just give the 5 way? At our shot vet 4 way and 5 way are the same price.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Giardia vaccine IMHO is worthless... I'd only ever even consider using it if a pet was having chronic recurrent Giardia infections.

As for Lepto + DHPP... some clinics do it for reminder purposes. Letpo is only good for 1 year and DHPP for 3. We just get around it by giving the DHLPP and having the receptionists updating both Lepto and DHPP reminders but some clinics prefer to make it more efficient and just keep them separated.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg