How To Help Mend An Ear

While at work last night, my DH called.

Some how, some way, Moose got hurt.

a chunck of his ear is missing. It didnt look like it was bitten off..but sorta sliced.

Dh looked and looked but couldnt find anywhere that Moose could have gotten caught on anything.

DH and DD wrapped it up..looks like he came from a bad dentist job :lol ..but at least its wrapped for right now.

Anyway..Moose is such a big baby and he looks so darn sad..IT makes me cry.

this has to heal with time..but just wondering if anyone else had this happen and any suggestions on how to make Moose a bit more comfortable.

I would post pics..but MY camera is MIA

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Guest minzenon

Not a lot you can do. Ears tend to bleed very very well. If he knocks it again it will just open up, so keep it clean and wrapped and ignore the pleading eyes. Erin took a slice out of her ear once, dont know how she did it, had it wrapped for a day and then the eyes came in pleading for it to be taken off, so I did - bad move - within 10 minutes she had made it bleed again.

Oh boy I can relate! LaceyLaine went outside and came back in with the tip of her ear missing and she was out alone!!! She kept shaking her head and that thing bled so bad...we had blood even on the ceiling. I could not stop the bleeding...took her into the vet and they couldn't stop it...they had to give her sedation and then they trimmed it so that it looked nice and stitched it with tiny sutures and then they just bandaged the ear instead of a whole head dressing but it made her crazy because her little ear hung down from the weight of the dressing and we had to constantly watch her...it did eventually heal and it looks real nice now! Hope all is well your way...:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

one of ours slit his ear, it was bleeding profusely...off to the vet, they cleaned/trimmed it sent us home with bandaged ear, next day bleeding profusely again, off to the vet, they cauterized the edges - bleeding stopped, it has healed and the hair has grown in nicely - - - now almost a year later we're still finding blood sprays on the walls/ceilings here and there

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest crazy4greys

You can try cornstarch to stop the bleeding. There is also something called Tear Mend. They use it on puppies when they crop their ears, but it is also used to mend tears in sneakers, and other leather things. I used it for Phoenix when one of my fosters bit his ear. It is like glue, but easily comes off when healed.

You can try super glue (yes, really) to stop the bleeding, if you can't get it to stop any other wat. Then to keep the ear from flapping around, take an old pair of pantyhose, cut the foot end off, so if forms a sleeve, trin to the right length, and place over his head. You can cut a hole for the other ear if you want to, as well.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

A Nexcare bandaid works pretty well and gets rid of most of the weight that makes them want to shake their heads. Once it's on, the idea is to leave it there until it's ready to come off. If what you did is working, I'd probaly leave that in place for a while.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well, what we did when Penny lost a bit of her ear, was:

We took the ear and folded it ontop of hear head, and sandwiched the end of the ear between an non-stick telfa pad. Then we took a length of nylon hoisery and put that her head through it. The nylon held her ear in place and allowed the bleeding to stop and the non-stick pad absorbed the blood, but didn't take the scab with it.

We only left this on until a scab formed. Then we just left it open and made sure it stayed clean.

Just, with the nylon on their head, keep a watch, because as you know, nylon is stretchy.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Our non-grey just lost a chunk of one of her floppy ears a few weeks ago.

Every time she shook her head it would spray and then drip, similar to what previous posts have described.

It sounds like you have wrapped it successfully. We ended up covering the raw edge with a folded over telfa pad and then wrapped it securely to her head using vet wrap. (I swear vet wrap is the duct tape of the animal kingdom.) It took a few days to heal over to the point that it didn't bleed when she shook her head. After about a week, it was healed enough that the scabbing came off. Now the fur is growing in to fill in some of the gap.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I know we felt awful for our pup.

Nadia managed to get a slice in her ear. Not sure how or who the culprit was (the cat was inside, so he was off the hook). It bled like crazy. I took her to the vet who stitched it, but not all that well. She still has a notch in that ear. I'm not sure what made more of a mess. That or the nick she got on the tip of her tail (think two year old with a brush and pot of red paint).

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)