I Took John E For Accupuncture Today

Houndtime

The last two days, John E has been crying (screaming) when he turns his head. Not all the time, just some of the time. Mostly, during the night when we are sleeping. :(

I called Dr. Newman this morning and told her that I had given him Ascriptin and could he take Deramaxx. Well not today after having taken the aspirin, which I knew. She recommended Tramadol, which I will pick up at Walmart tomorrow ($4 presciption) and she suggested bringing him for accupuncture.

I went and the person doing the procedure said the first vertibrea was out of line and he said John E would be experiencing a lot of pain when he moved his head. He also said the lower portion of his back was out of line. He aligned his back and neck and then placed the needles. I hadn't told him where I felt the pain was, and he told me exactly where I thought.

It was an interesting afternoon and hopefully the big buy will get some relief. The accupuncturist wants to see him again after we get back from Dewey.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Mommydog

That sounds very similar to what my bridge boy, Raffie, had. He started off with conventional treatment and rest, but the problem kept recurring. I'd never heard of acupuncture for dogs then, and it was on one of our visits that the vet mentioned he was studying it and I asked how I felt about trying it. I found it to be far more effective than conventional treatment, he had one recurrence of it, and I took him back for some more needling. After that he was never troubled with it again. So I only hope it works as well for your boy as it did for mine.

prayers for John E. I took one of mine for accupunture and it did wonders. I have another I anticipate will be going soon.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

I was wondering how I would know if it did help other than if the crying stopped tonight. I looked at him after dinner and realized that his head was straight on again.

Guest Mommydog

Well obviously the crying should stop. He'll probably appear to feel better in himself generally, and you may notice the tension has gone from his back, neck and shoulder areas. Was he quite sleepy afterwards ? they often are. You should know within the first 2-3 sessions whether it's working for him, around 20% of dogs it doesn't work for, but hopefully he won't be one of them.

Well obviously the crying should stop. He'll probably appear to feel better in himself generally, and you may notice the tension has gone from his back, neck and shoulder areas. Was he quite sleepy afterwards ? they often are. You should know within the first 2-3 sessions whether it's working for him, around 20% of dogs it doesn't work for, but hopefully he won't be one of them.

The accupucturist said he would be, but he wasn't. He stood up for more than three hours straight; all the time we were in the van and all the time at the vet. I left at 1:15 pm and didn't return home until 4:30.

He did go to sleep when we got home, but I have to say he must have been exhausted from the trip. I know I was.

Let keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Edited by Houndtime

Guest Mommydog

Your acupuncturist should be able to tell if it's working, pretty soon. I hope it does, because it's a marvellous form of treatment if it does. I would see how he goes tonight, sometimes I've found I couldn't always tell until the following day. But if he doesn't cry, or there is less crying tonight, I would say that's a pretty good indication that it's helped him.