"your Cushinoid Dog Has Pannus....

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Yes indeed, Monty has Pannus, which I understand from the optho vet is chronic but easily managed.

However, Monty is the dog with Iatrogenic Cushings, and our derm vet told me NEVER NEVER NEVER should Monty have another steroid NEVER. :shakefinger

Well, I guess the treatment for Pannus is steroid drops. Forever?

The optho vet cleared it with the derm vet but I am VERY ANXIOUS about this.

augh.

Guest greytmonty
I think drops are not the same as giving pred in pill or shot form.

Did you ask about cyclosporin drops instead of pred?

You are right, drops are not as bad as pills, shots, or spray. Down the road he may switch Monty to a nonsteroidal drop like cyclosporin, although orally Monty couldn't handle Atopica.... Anyway right now he needs these until the Pannus is better controlled, and then he will reevaluate.

thanks!

Drops are different than taking it internally. They will work on the affected area only ;) ... at least this is the way it is in humans :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greytmonty
Drops are different than taking it internally. They will work on the affected area only ;) ... at least this is the way it is in humans :)

Fingers crossed, this is Monty...... :rolleyes:

The eyes are their own little entities and, like Las Vegas, what goes in there, stays in there :P He should be fine.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 1 month later...
Guest greytmonty

We are seeing the opth vet for Monty's 4 week follow up today. His eyes look clearer to me so let's hope his Pannus is clearing. I don't know if he'll need drops the rest of his life.

Monty honey, you really are testing your mom aren't ya buddy? :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytmonty

The opth vet said his Pannus is improved so he will now get one drop per eye per day rather than two. He is keeping him on the steroid drops until April-ish. He said that a dog Monty's size should not become Cushinoid from one drop per day; the eye is kind of its own environment so he should be ok.

The bill for 2 minutes of a check up after a 65 minute wait was $$$!!!***&%&%&. Fooey!

What are you doing Karen, trying to out do our vet bills? Yeesh.

Hope he's OK.

My newly married and pregnant daughter has said to me (knowing only half of the medical situations here) "Mom, you want me to adopt a GH? How could I ever afford the medical bills". I explained that it's not everydog, but she was probably smart to wait a while before adopting any dog.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project