Sterling's Tail

:( Yesterday we were in the car going to the dog park and Kelsey was getting excited and as I made the turn she must have extended her claws - right on Sterling's tail!! He pulled away and let out a small yelp. Not realizing what exactly happened I let them out of the car and off they ran to their favorite smelling places in the park. I was walking towards them and I see Sterls flank is " brindle looking" (he's a white and fawn) next I see his tail is RED!!! He had 3 big gashes in his tail!! I got them both in the car, went back to the apt., applied first aid, called the vet and now he has a beautiful BLUE bandage on 2/3s of his tail. What a day.......Not to mention cleaning the car! Edited by SIGreyLady

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

That will take a long time to heal. And don't be surprised if he bangs his tail and it starts to bleed again. Then you'll be a member of the Happy Tail club.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh boy, no fun at all. If you keep the tail well padded until the scabs fall off, I would think it would be ok. Happy tail is no fun (picture that car cleaning job done over and over in your house). I'm not sure what gets perpetual happy tail going in the first place, but let's hope this injury isn't a catalyst.

I hope you got antibiotics. Jake had a deep cut in his tail and we had it stitched, he wasn't given any antibiotics and he lost over half of it due to infection.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest FullMetalFrank

Yep, tails are notoriously slow to heal... But they can, and do, my boy got his tail caught in the storm door and had two big gashes; about six weeks of bandaging (and some antibiotics) and it healed as good as new. Good luck with your poor pup's tail, and have patience!

It doesn't say the gashes were near the TIP of the tail--and if they're not, it should be a LOT easier than actual "happy tail" (bashed up tip from wagging it into stuff).

I must say, never heard of one dog gashing another's tail with their toe nails! Ouch! Poor pup.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

Ouch!! People are often very careful to muzzle to prevent injuries and forget that those nails can be as sharp as any tooth! I hope he heals quickly. :goodluck As someone mentioned earlier, if the gashes aren't at the tip it should heal up easier than "happy tail."