Choking -

Guest CyndiW

Alex is continuing to choke and vomit. It is a very violent choke and after a bad choke yesterday, I am starting to get scared. He was just doing this in the morning but it seemed like after he vomited then he was fine to eat the rest of the day. Now though he vomits randomly during the day. Yesterday he choked after the afternoon and evening feedings but not in the morning and it was really hard for him to bring it up and start breathing again. Each time, it happens while he is still eating and the vomit is encased in extremely thick white mucous (lots of saliva?) that is very sticky. We thought the canned prescription food was too dry so we have been watering it down to make more of a soup. The vet also wants us to start adding back in the dry food but we soak it as well. It doesn't seem to really matter what we do to the food he chokes the same. He also takes Prilosec in the AM and Reglan before every meal. It seems that maybe his esophagus may have shrunk from being on IV fluids without food for so long but that really doesn't make sense because he didn't do this when he first got home and it is getting worse and not better. Any ideas on what could be causing this, what that white mucous could be, or what we can do to prevent this? We have mentioned it numerous times to the vets and they just ask us if we are still giving him the Prilosec and Reglan. We had a scare on Tuesday because his diarrhea had gotten much worse and all of his straining was causing rectal bleeding. We took him back to the CARE center and they drained his anal glands and put him on an antibiotic for the diarrhea. That problem seems to be solved but we still have this crazy choking.

Edited by CyndiW

Guest Tenderhearts

I would definitely get a second opinion ASAP. Something is definitely not right as he's obviously choking for a reason. Please keep us updated! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

The really thick white mucous part makes me wonder if he could have a fungal/yeast infection going on in his esophagus. Do dogs get such things? I'd wanna ask.

When you turn his food into "soup" -- is it really liquid and chunk-free?

In all of his trials and travails, did he have any x-rays that included the esophagus (to make sure there are no obstructions all the way down)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

As far as I know he did have x-rays that covered all of the digestive system (beginning to end) and he also had numerous ultrasounds but they were probably only of the abdominal area. The food is liquid and chunk free except when we add in some of the dry food that is soaked. Either way, he seems to randomly choke. We have already discussed if it happens one more time we are going to stick everything in the blender and take the vomit to the CARE center to be looked at under the microscope to try to find out exactly what that stuff is. Of course, we will also take him as well to be checked out again. Today, we fed him a very small amount, let him out to the bathroom, and then when he came in we fed the rest. That worked today but just when we think we have it figured out, he chokes. Even when we were feeding him smaller meals (every 2-3 hours), he would still often choke on the first meal of the day.

That sounds like a good plan. All fingers and paws crossed!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending prayers for Alex. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Has megaesophagus been ruled out? I did some reading on this when my bridge boy Keno began having choking episodes. Keno wasn't vomiting, however, and was later diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis.

I hope you get good news. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Wow - I read that page on megaesophagus and that sure sounds like what he might have. Maybe he got the nerve and muscle damage from eating the corn cobs last month. We noticed that ever since he has been home that he won't bark and he was an avid barker before all of this started. It makes us wonder if he has some pain/discomfort down there even when he isn't choking. We are going to start giving the Reglan at least an hour before eating instead of just 30 min. We are hoping that will give his esophagus more time to get stimulated for food.

Well, I think we have it figured out or I sure hope so. He vomited again yesterday and we saved it just in case we needed to take him back in. :puke However, I noticed that when he choked/vomited yesterday it was a few hours after I gave the Denosyl (because it has to be given on an empty stomach). I didn't give it on Friday or Saturday because of all the choking on Thursday and amazingly he didn't choke/vomit either of those days. The surgeon told us today that excessive saliva is a rare side effect of Denosyl and that when he eats, his body becomes queasy from all the saliva and reacts by throwing up the food. I sure hope that this is all that is causing it and that if we don't give him anymore that the choking/vomiting will stop. She truly believes that the Denosyl is causing all of these problems and he should be fine without it at this point.

Diane: Thanks for posting his pics!!

Edited by CyndiW