Omg I Am Such A Bad Mom......

Guest rosebudd

Guest rosebudd

I was clipping Leo's nails and I made him bleed :unsure He yelped and put his teeth on my hand but he didnt bite me. I feel so bad :weep

It happens, especially with black nails. I did it to Her Ladyship (Nadia). It has made me a bit of a coward when it comes to clipping their nails now.

BTW, I've seen it happen to professional groomers and vet techs.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Just recently caught Goods for the first time ever in the 9 years I've had him. He yelped, got up and went in the corner and positioned himself so I couldn't get near his feet again......trust me I didn't want to go near his feet again.... I felt awful :( The look on his face was like "You hurt me! How could you do that to me?!!"

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

Guest greybookends

It happens. Get some styptic powder to keep on hand to staunch the bleeding. Flour or cornstarch will work in a pinch as well.

I did it a few times shortly after we adopted Sahara. I felt bad, but I think her quicks (and nails) were fairly long when we adopted her. It hasn't happened in about 8 months, so I think I've learned how far to go. One time I didn't notice it (she didn't show any reaction) until we had blood all over the carpet. Luckily, peroxide mixed with water got it all up.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

It happens...I'm sure he'll get over it in no time. Another reason we dremel - very, very little chance of quicking them ;)

Guest whatahound

Everytime I used to clip Nikki's nails I would always get one too short. (Blood everywhere) Thats why I dremel now, greatest thing since sliced bread. :colgate

I got a nail trimmer at Target that has a disc you swing down so you can only put the nail in so far. It takes off at most an eighth of an inch! You may have to do it twice per nail, but you won't hit the quick with just one trim! It took me a little bit to get used to it, but I like it now.

I got a nail trimmer at Target that has a disc you swing down so you can only put the nail in so far. It takes off at most an eighth of an inch! You may have to do it twice per nail, but you won't hit the quick with just one trim! It took me a little bit to get used to it, but I like it now.

I have the same type of clipper. I jokingly call it "training wheels"

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Guest rosebudd

I have the same type of clipper. I jokingly call it "training wheels"

my cats nail trimmer has that but I didnt see it at the local pet store for the dog and just bought this one. I may have to get a dremmel it would kill to birds with one stone because my hubby wants one anyway :rolleyes:

Guest sheila

First time I trimmed Kiowas nails I quicked him and that was it for me. I then took him to the vet to be trimmed and the vet tech BUTCHERED him. After that I got a dremel and have been using that ever since.

Guest mymainegreys

Just did it yesterday. Our girl has black nails and we have only clipped the quick once before. However, yesterday morning she had torn her back claw almost down to the toe. We called one of the "go-to's" from our recue program (the kind of woman who will come to your house to check a wound and wrap it if it doesn't need vet attention) and she said that in all of her years of fostering/adopting greys they have accidentally ripped their own nails off and that it hurts for a split second and then is done. So, anyway, she told us to have a plan, cut it quickly and have the quick-stop ready to go.

We did, feeling horribly about it, all the while letting her lick a bowl of peanut butter........and she didn't even cry out. (She who usually "screams" if her foot gets caught in the couch coushins!!) It stopped bleeding within 10 minutes of putting the quick stopper on it and she was fine.

Just did it yesterday. Our girl has black nails and we have only clipped the quick once before. However, yesterday morning she had torn her back claw almost down to the toe. We called one of the "go-to's" from our recue program (the kind of woman who will come to your house to check a wound and wrap it if it doesn't need vet attention) and she said that in all of her years of fostering/adopting greys they have accidentally ripped their own nails off and that it hurts for a split second and then is done. So, anyway, she told us to have a plan, cut it quickly and have the quick-stop ready to go.

We did, feeling horribly about it, all the while letting her lick a bowl of peanut butter........and she didn't even cry out. (She who usually "screams" if her foot gets caught in the couch coushins!!) It stopped bleeding within 10 minutes of putting the quick stopper on it and she was fine.

Sounds like Nadia. She tore a nail almost off. I let the vet remove it (yes, I was chicken). Not a sound from my drama queen, either. With her, the more trivial, the more noise.

Guest Redpack

I was fine with nail trimming when we just had Emissary...Diplomat is such a brat! He yelped the first time I did his even though I didn't cut him and the trimmer was sharp...since then, they're nails are a little long...I'm the terrible mom.