Medication Question

My friends dog just got out of the ER vet. She now has bruising that was that was not there before, and a lump where they may have done injections. She was sent home with a antibiotic, Metronidazole. She is also on Previcox. Her vet is now closed. They did not tell her if she can take the 2 medications together. The vet had not been giving the Previcox while in the hospital. Now she is limping badly.

Can she take the 2 medications together? Anyone know? She is planning on talking to the vet in the morning, but was hoping for some insight now.

Thanks!

The Girls

Metronidazole is Flagyl an antibiotic and Previcox is a veterinary prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to control pain and inflammation due to osteoarthritis in dogs.

I'm not a vet but I would give the meds together, the antibiotic is for infection and the NSAID for pain and inflamation. Like one of us taking an antibotic for an infection and an ibuprofin for pain and swelling.

Edited by Charla

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Ah, Flagyl. That is what they gave her for the runs she was having then. Did not know the fancy name for it. :) I know the pup no longer has the runs. Does she continue with the Flagyl? Is it like humans, complete the full dose even if symptoms stop?

She is planning on talking to her vet in the morning, just panicking a bit now having her baby home after a couple days and not knowing enough.

The Girls

I'm no vet either, but I'm pretty sure she should finsih the antibiotic even if signs have resolved. Stopping antibiotics too soon is one of the contributing factors in creating drug resistant microbes.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)