Bodie's Visit To The Dermatologist/veterinarian

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

It’s been two weeks since my last post on Bodie’s progress with his skin lesions and rash. You may remember we went to Ohio State University Greyhound Wellness Center at the end of May, where they did a biopsy of Bodie's skin. The biopsy determined Bodie has an unknown skin infection, so OSU referred me to a dermatologist/veterinarian who is an hour and a half away, so that I wouldn't have to keep making the 8 hour trip to OSU. In the interim, Bodie had a skin culture, perfomed by his local vet and OSU prescribed Clavamox in an attempt to clear the infection.

Bodie has been on Clavamox, 500 mg, for almost 28 days. He’s better, but not cured. The angry red areas are gone, but the scabs never seem to heal, and if they do fall off, they re-form right away.

Bodie finally had his long awaited appointment with a dermatologist/veterinarian on Tuesday.

The vet was very kind, very thorough. He carefully examined all of Bodie's infected areas and then pressed slides into his affected areas. He then looked at the slides and determined that the "things" (can't remember the scientific name) that he was looking for that indicate a bacterial infection were there in mass - even in greater amounts than he expected, which surprised him as Bodie had been on that high dose of Clavamox for 27 days. So, Bodie had another skin culture, which the doctor is sending away to Penn to be read to possibly determine what kind of infection he has and which antibiotic is best for him. The doctor explained that oral antibiotics work from the inside out and that some antibiotics are better than others at coming all the way out through the skin to the surface. For most infections, the Clavamox that Bodie is taking would work fine, but with a severe infection like he has, the drug isn't making it all the way to the surface of his skin to kill everything. That is why the infection looks better but never quite goes away. So, when he gets the reading back, he will use that to determine the best antibiotic to not only kill the infection, but the best one for penetrating all the way to the skin's surface.

He reaffirmed what everyone has said so far - Bodie is an extremely unusual case. First of all, it is very rare for greyhounds to have allergies and Bodie's symptons don't react like the usual allergy i.e. he's not itchy, so that makes it even more rare. He said the doctor in Florida who read Bodie's skin biopsy (and he also stated she was the best in the country, as did the doctors at Ohio State University) could not find any allergies in his biopsy, which is what is confusing everyone. But he also said that the infection may be acting as smoke and hiding the real cause of Bodie's problem, which could possibly be allergies. The doctor said the most important thing now is to clear the infection and then try and discover what caused it in the first place, so he is going to start with bombarding Bodie with antibiotics, once he knows what to use.

So we were sent home with more Clavamox to tide him over until the culture results return in a week. I only had enough pills for three days, so he sent home enough for 5 more days beyond that. And he also sent home a spray that is to be soothing to the affected areas and should stop Bodie from crying at night - which Monday night was an awful problem. Bodie kept crying from 3 am to 4 am and finally I got up and gave him one of his painkillers at 4 so we could all get some sleep. I hated to do that as I was afraid it might affect any testing they were going to do, but we were all miserable and it was the only recourse. He finally settled down and went to sleep when the painkiller took hold.

So, once again, we wait, although the doctor assures me it will only be a week this time. I liked the doctor, but this has been going on for so long, that I have become very dubious about a cure. But I'm determined to get to the bottom of this, and will try things his way. Let's just hope this time it works and my wonderful, happy boy, who has been depressed and lethargic for so long, will be returned to me.

Rhonda

Guest Tenderhearts

Rhonda, I am so sorry Brodie and you are going through this. What an ordeal! Sending lots of non-stop prayers for Brodie, and warm hugs for you! :hope :hope :hope:candle :candle

I hope it all works out quickly for you and your pup. It is awful to see them miserable, and unable to do anything.

Painkillers shouldn't affect testing on a bacterial infection or allergies, so don't worry about that.

Big prayers that they get to the bottom of this. My Hogan has allergies, and it is no fun. I can't even imagine what you are going through though.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I've been wondering.

Poor Bodie and poor you :( I hope this finally gets to the bottom of things! (or the top--where the meds need to be!)

edited to add:

Has he been tested for TBDs? Went searching in the thread in GreytInformation and found this (bold added):

EHRLICHIOSIS is an infectious blood disease. A reduction in cellular blood elements is the primary characteristic of the disease. Although the organism lives and reproduces in the white blood cells (leukocytes), it has a particularly devastating affect on the lymphatic system and will ultimately affect multiple organs, systems, and cells: respiratory, circulatory, central nervous system, kidney, brain, liver, spleen, endothelium. Additionally, the severe depression of the immune system created by the disease opens the door to secondary bacterial infections and other complications.
Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Sending prayers for Bodie. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

What an ordeal for you both. I've been wondering how he has been doing. I hope this is the beginning of the solution for Brodie. :grouphug Keep us up to date cause we really care.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren