Some Good News! 1 Year Survival Chf & Cancer

We're hauling 7 dogs up to GPA-Atlanta tomorrow... I set the totebag full of extra collars/leashes by the back door, so we wouldn't forget it at o-dark-thirty in the morning. For some weird reason, there was a brand new hedgehog stuffy in the bag! Isaac grabbed it and took off for his bed.

When I called him to eat his dinner, he brought the hedgehog (with the tag still on it) back and laid it by his bowl, so it would be handy when he finished eating! He's still carrying his new baby around with him everywhere and telling all the youngsters to leave it alone! He wanted to take it outside, but I wouldn't let him.

This really made me smile. What a sweet boy. :wub:

Prayers for Isaac to have many more happy days. :hope

Thank you fpr posting Isaac's stew recipe. I copied it because you just never know.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LynnM

He's a touch old guy, that's for sure. Also so smart that it's scary! It doesn't matter how old he is, he still moves like lightning when he hears the last scraaape of a spoon against a bowl of ice cream. He's always first in line to lick the bowls.

It's cool how his recipe has evolved. IIRC, the first batch was a couple of pounds of leg quarters, celery, garlic, carrot, boiled (same as for chicken soup), meat removed from bones, meat tossed back in with broth, carrots mooshed up, celery and garlic removed, tossed in some tomatoes and a box of orzo.

The main thing to remember when making a stew like this is that you don't need to add much, if any water (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup at the very beginning to get it started and keep the veggies from sticking to the bottom of the pot). The meat and the veggies shed all the water you need as they cook down. Also, don't skim the fat and leave the skin on the chicken.... you WANT calories in this stuff.

The commercial diets tend to pre-suppose that dogs with heart conditions and the like have a concurrent weight problem- and most do- but such a diet doesn't have enough calories for a dog that's at a healthy weight, but just happens to have a heart that needs some extra attention. Our stew tastes a whole lot better, too!

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Guest LynnM

The Old Man has had a couple of rough days with his mom and dad being out of town, but I think the vet and I have it sorted out. Hour-long, 5AM coughing fits aren't any fun for Isaac or me!

The great news is that after a round of meds, the good old appetite came right back. Chicken of the Sea Very Low Sodium Tuna is great stuff, too.

I also got a good lead to a scalloping spot, thanks to his vet, so if the tuna's not enough, I can always get some fresh goodies, too :)