Quick Question Regarding Banadryl

Guest LazyBones

Guest LazyBones

i stopped by the vet last friday, asking for something i might be able to give gumby on the 4th, since she is scared of fireworks. the vet was leery about giving her sedatives, due to her age, and suggested benadryl.

however, as far as how much to give her, i forgot if she said whether the dose was in CCs or mgs, or something else. i have children's benadryl (12.5 mg), and gumby is about 55 pounds. how much should i give her?

Guest Elaine
i stopped by the vet last friday, asking for something i might be able to give gumby on the 4th, since she is scared of fireworks. the vet was leery about giving her sedatives, due to her age, and suggested benadryl.

however, as far as how much to give her, i forgot if she said whether the dose was in CCs or mgs, or something else. i have children's benadryl (12.5 mg), and gumby is about 55 pounds. how much should i give her?

Your best bet is to ask the vet. However, that being said, I've been able to give an 85 lb male 75mg benadryl for an allergic reaction. I'm guessing you can probably get away with 37.5mg.

Elaine

I have been told 1 mg per pound. My girl is 60lbs and one 25mg tablet knocks her flat! I would start with one adult (2 kids) and see how she reacts. Don't give her more than 50mg. I have some on standby for the 4th too. Hope she does well.

The Girls

Guest tricolorhounds

I just spoke with my Vet last week regarding Benedryl... For my 100# Felicity, the Vet said she could take 4 adult tabs, several times a day as needed. She said it was pretty hard to overdose Benedryl.

As ShantisMom suggests, I would start with 25mg and see how she does. Until you know how she reacts, you won't want her going up and down stairs by herself once you've given the med.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Winterwish

I agree with Batmom about starting small,definitely.

The suggestion for 2 "adult tablets" 3 times a day seems vague as far as adult tablets go. Bendryl comes in up to 50 mg. pills,so two 50 mg. pills up to 3 times a day would amount to 300 mg. of benedryl in one day.

That seems like a scarey amount of benedryl that someone may think is okay to give,so please be careful.

Benedryl can definitely be given in overdose amounts. As far as animals go,I don't have those experiences,but I can tell you without question babies have had fatal overdoses of benedryl.

And leaving the extreme case of a fatal reaction in children out of the picture,overdoses occur with benedryl and come in the form of extreme sleepiness,dry mouth,even possible seizure.

The extreme sleepiness and dry mouth type of overdose reaction may seem harmless,but in fact they are classified as an overdose,and that really is very serious,even tho' it seems the response would be to just let them sleep it off.

Important to keep in mind that altho' meds are bought over the counter now,they are still medications with chemical alterations,subtle as they may be.

I just felt the need to say that.

Others have said the key thing with something like benedryl,it seems anyway,is to give it a good while BEFORE the fireworks or storm begins,and before the restlessness reaches the high point.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest rsmccorm

It was probably in MG, CC's is a liquid measurement. I give my grey 2 25mg tablets (vet recommended). Its 1mg of medicine / lb of dog.

Guest MtnBiker

Like has been said before, it's hard to overdose. Give enough to make her comfortable - the 1 mg/pound is a good rule of thumb :)

At that dose, She'll probably be quite drowsy or a little slow. You could test some out today and see how she reacts.

Guest LazyBones

thanks guys. :)

well, the fireworks haven't started yet (i'm surprised), but i just gave her some benadryl. i didn't give her the full 4 tsp dosage. i am starting her out with 3 tsp, and see how she does with that. she is in her bed now, and hopefully she'll stay there instead of the hallway. fortunately for her, we do not have stairs in our house, so that won't be a concern.

so, i'm crossing my fingers that she and her fellow firework-hating hounds here do well today/tonight.