What's The Difference

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

I've searched and read some previous posts & polls about what heartworm meds are given, but what is the difference??? Most seem to get frontline plus, Alan has always gotten Sentinel from our vet. Does it matter?

Guest EMcElfresh

Well - Frontline is a flea and tick preventitive - however, I am sure you are asking about Sentinel vs. Heartgard..etc. I am a 30 day doser...my guess is that different meds have different DOSES of the drug that kills the worms...some may also work with the breeding cycle of the worm - I am not positive - those are my guesses

Guest longdogs

Heartworm treatment comes as daily pills (not very popular), monthly pills, topicals, or 6-monthly/yearly injections. Injections have been suspended in the US. The monthly pills come 'plain' for heartworm only, or with added protection for other forms of worm and sometimes fleas. It's a matter of preference and cost whether you combine these treatments or do them separately. The 'all-in-one' treatments tend to be more expensive. When it comes down to brand choice, or named brand versus generic, there really is little difference. They all work and are all safe. Topicals are usually for heartworm plus combinations of other parasites. They are frequently the most expensive choice but again work OK. I've used all the methods, other than daily pills, at various times with no problems at all. I tend to buy generic heartwormers and a separate 'all-wormer' but we are on Sentinel now because I found a cheap supply.

Heartgard's active ingredient is Ivermectin. Interceptor's active ingredient is Milbemycin Oxime.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest meandmygreys

Most of the the tracks use Ivermectin..the cattle wormer variety...1/2 cc. in the mouth..I've done it this way for years...also puts a big dent in the worm population...Goose is or rather was, heartworm positive when I got him..I give him this every month..He's doing great... :P

Guest LynnM

Every commercially available heartworm preventative does its primary job (preventing heartworms) exceptionally well when given as directed. There is no "Which one is better?" when it comes to preventing heartworms and all have phenomenally good safety records when given as directed.

The deciding factors are then:

"What else does it do?"- intestinal worm prevention/clearing and which kinds of worms, flea prevention/kill, tick prevention/kill

"How much does it cost?"- They range from $25 for basic, generic meds to nearly $100 for some of the newer, brand name ones that do more than HW prevention only.

"How do I get it in/on the dog?"- There are two basic options in the US: a chewable pill or a "spot on" type treatment. Additionally, owners of allergy dogs need to consult with their vet about what makes up the chewable pills to ensure that it's not something the dog is sensitive to.

Hope this helps.... it wouldn't hurt to chat with your vet about what would be best for your hounds.

Lynn

• 5 months later...
Guest KnoxGreytMommy

I looked at the prices of Ivermectin at Tractor Supply (in the horse section) today, and this seems the most reasonable option, especially for multi-dog households.

For those of you with experience with "bulk" Ivermectin:

1. Which variety do you use?

2. What is the amount per pound? (My dogs range from 14 to 80 lbs.)

3. Which supplier has the best prices/service?

Thanks so much for the information -- Natalie

I use Ivomec and the dosage is .10cc per 10lbs. of dogs. weight. In other words, the only time a hound should get a full cc is if it weighs 100lbs. A caution here though, I don't use it on Jilly Bean. My vet suggested I keep her on Heartguard, which I do. Still the cost savings is substantial. I have been using it for 5 years now on all my hounds, including Saint and have had no adverse reactions of any kind. You can get some really good prices on line, check out the suppliers. I've gotten it as cheap as $35.00 for a 50 ml. bottle and that will last me 6 months or more with all 9 hounds receiving it. For people with one or two hounds, the cost could be as low as $35 to $50 dollars a year. Quite a bit of savings.

One thing to know, this is exactly the stuff they are given in the racing kennels as a heart worm preventative so chances are when your pup comes to your home they have been receiving it the entire time they raced.

edited to add: It's the injectable solution but don't inject it!!!! You draw it with a syringe and put it on their food. This is the way all my hounds got heartworm preventative while racing so I just continued it when they came to live with me and they are happy and healthy hounds.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That dosage is for the Ivomec 1% Injectable solution (or equivalent generic). There are many ivermectin-containing preparations at several concentrations. Make sure you know what you are buying.

Lynn

We use the Interceptor for Chloe, Teddy and Polly seasonally. For Beau, it's every month, year round becasue they are unable to take blood (cut nails, brush teeth, look at him cross eyed) prior to administering the drug.

I've just always used Intercetor although they are both available from my vet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Heartworm goes through a number of different life stages from microfilariae to an adult worm these are typically labelled L1 through to L6. I believe the preventatives differ slightly in what stage larvae they kill. Also, some of the "monthly" types can be given in 45 day intervals, with the 30 day dosage being given only to make it easier for the owner to remember.