Ace's Tail Again

Sat Ace down for her second bandage change since her tail amputation today, got her bandages off to find that the skin that they pulled around the end of her tail has either come open or it's gone (I wonder if there was vascular trauma to the skin since she PULLED the end of her tail off and they didnt amp up high enough to get rid of all of the dying skin).

So we have exposed bone again, looks like in the cartoons when someone gets an arm sawed off and you see the cross section of the bone surrounded by the flesh :blink:

I am going to have doc look at it but has anyone dealt with this before? With all the tails I've dealt with I've never had this problem. Will it possibly granulate and close up on its own, or will it have to be amputated more? I hate for her to have to go under anesthesia again but if that's what we have to do, that's what we have to do.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Might have to take off a bit more, might not, only surgeon can say .......

FWIW, usually in the beginning I like to change bandage every day for a few days, then every other day for a few to make sure things are healing up properly and don't need attention.

Tail stuff is the pits. Hope all goes well from here on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We went through this with a foster, and he ended up needing more of his tail taken off. (total of 3 surgeries. Thank doG the last one healed finally!) For him part of the issue may have been a weakened immune system from the tail having been horribly infected (he came in off the hauler like that, it was an old injury)

Ace may need more of her tail amputated, like my foster did. They didn't take a lot more off, just enough to get to good healthy tissue that had a better chance of healing. Hopefully she doesn't. :hope

Keeping Ace in my thoughts!

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

No knowledge of tail issues, but my mini-schnauzer had a surgery and the skin started dying (and tearing from the staples). They did have to go back in and take out a bunch of skin. They used something called quills to hold the skin and would slowly start pulling the skin together. It took several weeks to get it closed, but it worked. It did have to granulate to close.

I have pictures of the quills, but I won't post unless you want me too as they're a bit gross...

Guest smarthound

We went through this with Trevor when he was eleven. The first amp didn't heal so the vet took off a couple more sections. The second amp started to heal but the skin pulled away from the tip of his tail leaving bone exposed. We took Trevor to the vet twice a week for weeks to have his wound abraded. It did granulate and his tail healed completely. It was a long process but we were happy with the result. Trevor was a brave boy and tolerated the treatment very well.

In addition, DH constructed what is now known as the Tail Tube to protect Trevor's tail from further injury. Many friends have used Tail Tubes on their hounds since then with good results. The only problem is that other pups in the house think the tube looks like a toy and will try to pull it off. This can be amusing but needs to be discouraged.

Trevor relaxing with his Tail Tube.

DSC_1767.jpg

Good luck with your pup.

Guest Tenderhearts

We went through the same thing with Lori Ann and bone ended up being exposed after the first amputation (about 3" being taken off).

She was already on antibiotics for an infection, we had been trying to get the initial injury and then subsequent amputation healed up for over a month.

She was miserable, I was miserable, and my vet had suggested taking off most of the tail on the first amputation but I just couldn't bear the thought of the whole tail going.

I will always feel guilty for not listening to my vet and saving her a second surgery where the rest of the tail was taken off, leaving a stub. She healed up great and with no complications after the second surgery. She couldn't have cared less whether she had a tail; I was the one who had the problem with it :(

Well, doc took a look at it yesterday and thinks it will granulate. His exact words, "I wouldn't give up on this one yet." We put some aquacel on it, which we used on Fritz's foot a while back. It turns to like a gel and helps the tissue to granulate.

She's got her tail tube on and seems to be fine so we're watching it for now. I just REALLY don't want her to have to be put out any more, since she's had kidney/bladder/liver issues recently I don't want to do anything more that's tough on her body if we can help it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest dmona
Well, doc took a look at it yesterday and thinks it will granulate. His exact words, "I wouldn't give up on this one yet." We put some aquacel on it, which we used on Fritz's foot a while back. It turns to like a gel and helps the tissue to granulate.

She's got her tail tube on and seems to be fine so we're watching it for now. I just REALLY don't want her to have to be put out any more, since she's had kidney/bladder/liver issues recently I don't want to do anything more that's tough on her body if we can help it.

Hi! Went thru all this with our JoJo about 3 months ago, tried treating it per vet instructions, then had to have it amputated. Before the amputation vet told us to use betadine with sugar mixed in. That may work with some wounds but his tail just would not heal. After amputation(about 2 inches) he has healed fine, just need his hair to grow back which it is slowly doing.