Something Strange On Sophie's Neck

Guest JohnnyBell

Guest JohnnyBell

I'm trying to figure out what this thing is on Sophie's neck.It's shaved from where she had the Fentanyl patch when she had her leg amputated.Any ideas what it might be? I used some neosporin on it yesterday and today I put some vitamin E oil on it.We had a heck of a time getting the patch off.I though it might be an adhesive reaction but if it was don't you think it would be in more then just a circle.The patch was a huge rectangle.The circle on her neck is raised at the edges but dips in the middle.

100_5402.jpg

100_5409.jpg

100_5410.jpg

Adverse effects noted as occurring with more than 1% of patients with transdermal Fentanyl patches include "application site reaction – erythema, papules, itching, edema."

Erythema is a sign of inflammation that commonly occurs at injection sites; edema is observable swelling or water retention. In short, it seems this sort of reaction is quite common, but a quick call to the vet might put you more at ease.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest JohnnyBell

I thought it was an allergic reaction too, but she had the patch taken off 2 weeks ago.In the center it had gunky stuff like white adhesive residue on the skin but when I put the vitamin E oil on it and rubbed it the gunky stuff came up along with some newly growing fur and it turned really pink like in the pictures.You can see in the pictures the brownish spots right beside it on her skin that's adhesive that just wouldn't come up.

Guest Winterwish

I'm wondering if it's a kind of fungal infection that developed under the patch. For ex.,ringworm,or along those lines. I'd definitely ask the vet tho'. Maybe you can e-mail the vet the pictures so you and Sophie won't have to go all the way in for an app't.?

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Did she have the generic or brand fentanyl patch? One has all the medication concentrated in a bubble on the patch while the other has it throughout the adhesive. I'm going to PM somebody who knows more about it, but that looks like a rash fromt he "bubble" type patch.

Guest JohnnyBell

The patch said Fentanyl on it,it was a bubble type patch with the liquid in the bubble.HHuuumm I wonder if that's not where the medication exited on the underside of the patch.Will it go away on it's own??

Edited by JohnnyBell

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

It should, if that is indeed what it is, and it looks like it to me. I sent a PM to the person who would know the best. She'll chime in tomorrow, I'm sure.

I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline here, maybe I need more coffee....But, this red spot just occurred recently, right?

I think it's a coincidence, or due to the skin being exposed, rather than being due to the patch. The brand name (and the "authorized generic"--ie the same thing as the brand, but sold more cheaply) do have a well in the middle, but the well is rectangular, like the patch. Also, the entire surface has adhesive on it and the drug will seep out of the well and mix w the adhesive, so either a reaction to the adhesive or drug should have been in a larger, basically rectangular area.

What can sometimes occur is that the skin under the patch is not completely clean and can develop a little colony of organisms that irritate the skin, so if it happened right around the time the patch came off, that's a possibility.

My guess is that the skin got irritated from the patch removal, then was exposed to something else that took hold since the patch was removed. In reading about ringworm (which, BTW, is a fungal infection), it talks about fur coming off easily at the involved site, so that sounds like a possibility.

As I am not a vet or human medical professional, please talk to your vet and find out what it could be. It would be nice if you could e-mail the pics to the vets office if they'd let you do that.

One tangential (sp??) thing--when removing the patch and/or cleaning the skin after removal, folks might want to wear rubber gloves. If there is any drug left you might absorb it yourself by handling the patch or the goo that is coming off the skin. While a person's stomach will destroy the drug (which is why it's not given in pill form), the mucous membranes (nose, mouth, and eyes too) will absorb the drug if you happen to touch them, and faster than dry skin. So, at a minimum, wash up really well right after handling the patch, but don't use alcohol or other solvents because they push the drug through the skin faster.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest JohnnyBell

I noticed this several days after the patch came off and the patch came off 2 weeks ago,but it wasn't red right away it was like a white cakey circle then turned into a white cakey circle with red around it then it turned like this after I put on the vitimin E oil and the white cakeyness came off with some new growing fur.That's why I thought it was adhisive(mabe the white cakey stuff) that was stuck there and caused irritation.It doesn't seem to bother her at all.I wonder if it will hurt if I used an over the counter anti-fungal cream on it for a few days and see if it clears up.I do happen to have some here.Do you know if that can be used?

Guest Winterwish

I'd try a thin layer,I would. Ordinarily I don't feel that way about non-pet creams,but with the location,she can't get to it to lick off the cream so ingesting it wouldn't be a problem.

I hope Sophie's neck clears up,and that she's having a good day. :dogcookie:dogcookie

Guest greytexplorer

I second Winterwish's motion.

I really do think it's ringworm.

I have used people antifungal on my cat with no problem.

Hope it works!!!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

It doesn't hurt to call the vet, they may be able to give you the ok over the phone, or give you a different recommendation.

My vet and I have an open communication like this and if I say, it looks like x,y, or z, and then say, I want to try a, b, or c, my vet will often say - yes I would, no i wouldn't etc. It can't hurt to call and ask for them to call you back.

You know, it might be ringworm, since they like warm and moist environments and she did have a loss of fur with the appearance of the ring. .

Here's hoping for the best.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Rather than using an OTC remedy, I would definitely contact your vet first. Your pup has a compromised immune system given the cancer and chemotherapy. This results in dogs being much more suseptable (sp??) to infections, etc. Also, if it is something contagious, your other dogs, or you yourself, could catch it, depending on what it is.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest SillyDog

Yeah, I'd call the vet. It looks like some bacterial infections I've seen, but it also looks like ringworm. The treatment for the two are different. The third possibility, allergic reaction, calls for an entirely different drug therapy than the first two. Your vet can scrape it and look at it under the microscope to differentiate for sure.

Good luck!

Guest Winterwish
Maybe ringworm, Ace get places like that on his belly sometimes. They always go away in a few days.

Oh if your grey definitely has ringworm,it absolutely needs treatment via a vet and will continue to spread. Definitely it's contagious.

For that matter,all bedding and such needs to be properly laundered to rid it.

By all means,as I posted,you should defintiely check with your vet,or see if he or she will accept your e-mailing the pictures.

The cream answer was really just in response to should you dab on a little of the antifungal,and that I would,knowing that I'd be in contact with the vet.

But whatahound,ringworm definitely does need a vet visit. :)

Edited by Winterwish

Guest whatahound
Maybe ringworm, Ace get places like that on his belly sometimes. They always go away in a few days.

Oh if your grey definitely has ringworm,it absolutely needs treatment via a vet and will continue to spread. Definitely it's contagious.

For that matter,all bedding and such needs to be properly laundered to rid it.

By all means,as I posted,you should defintiely check with your vet,or see if he or she will accept your e-mailing the pictures.

The cream answer was really just in response to should you dab on a little of the antifungal,and that I would,knowing that I'd be in contact with the vet.

But whatahound,ringworm definitely does need a vet visit. :)

Skin scrape came back negitive. I think what I have seen on his belly was a bug bite, it would always go away in a day or two.

Poor Sophie...she needs a big kiss on the top of her head and a cookie.

I hope she gets good news.

My first thought was ringworm too-just because of the compromised immune system.

My Dad kept getting fungal skin infections while he was on chemo.

Hope your vet gives you good news.

Guest JohnnyBell
any news?

Yes thanx for asking.I talked to the vet she said she was 90% sure it is from the patch because she has seen this happen many times.She told me to put neosporin on it a few times a day.If it it's not gone or even better by the time Sophie goes for her chemo on Wed the'll go into it more,but she's leaning more towards it being from the patch.I hope that's all it is.

Guest longdogs

That's a reaction to the Fentanyl patch. Nugget had exactly the same problem and was very tender around the inflamed area.