A Sophie Update W/chemo Questions

Guest JohnnyBell

Guest JohnnyBell

Sophie's patholagy reports came back and she indeed has Osteosarcoma.This is just terrible :weep.I was hoping it would come back as I was told in the begining as fibroblastic sarcoma since no Osteoid was found in the biopsy but I was told that with the whole tumor being tested after amp the Osteoid may very well be there and it was.It's been 10 days since her amputation and she is doing wonderful!!!!She is so much happier then with that bum leg on.Sophie will be starting her chemo thanks to Dr Couto and his staff at OSU, they are wonderful.Does anyone have any experiance with the chemo drug doxorubicin???Side effects??I was told that there weren't many (if any)side effect with this treatment.Here's a picture of her post-op just because I'm so proud of her.Mommy loves ya girl...hang in there.

100_5207.jpg

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Oh, she looks GREYT!!! My boy is an OSU patient. I'm not immediately recalling the chemo drug they used with him. I'm thinking it was one that started with an R maybe. But he didn't have ANY side effects whatsoever, besides being a little tired. Dogs do so much better with chemo than humans do.

she looks awesome! I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest JohnnyBell
Oh, she looks GREYT!!! My boy is an OSU patient. I'm not immediately recalling the chemo drug they used with him. I'm thinking it was one that started with an R maybe. But he didn't have ANY side effects whatsoever, besides being a little tired. Dogs do so much better with chemo than humans do.

Well, Sophie isn't really a patient at OSU but they are sending the chemo drugs to my vet to administer to her.How awsome!!!!

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Does anyone have any experiance with the chemo drug doxorubicin???

Yes, unfortunately.

doxorubicin is also called Adriamycin. Alex's chemo protocol was alternating doxorubicin

and carboplatin. After the doxorubicin chemo, he was lethargic and his appetite was off for

a few days.

I also had doxorubicin in combination with cytoxin a few years ago for breast

cancer. It kicked the crap out of me, but the Vet Onc said the dose dogs get isn't

as strong as the dose for humans.

Guest myjazzy

Both Jazzy and Edgey had doxorubicin. It's a pretty potent drug and mine had low energy and their appetite was off for a couple of days after, but other than that, they seemed to tolerate it well. Doxorubicin can be hard on the heart, so you may want to put Sophie on CoQ10 while she's on it. But, of course, ask your vet.

I hope the chemo works for her, like it did for Jazzy. :grouphug

Sophie looks great. :) I don't know much about the chemotherapy drugs, only that the Carboplatin and doxorubicin have similar results. I think the Carboplatin is more expensive too. Give Sophie a big hug. I'm praying for a great outcome for her! Once you get over the shock of the diagnosis, you just want to get rolling on keeping this cancer at bay for as long as you can.

Sophie looks great. :) I don't know much about the chemotherapy drugs, only that the Carboplatin is supposed to have less side effects but the end results are very similar with doxorubicin. Give Sophie a hug. I'm praying for a great outcome for her!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Marvin had an upset stomach, throwing up bile, explosive diarrhea. Sometimes he wouldn't eat and I started giving him cooked chicken breast and rice. Dr. Couto said greyhounds don't normally have reactions like that.

Good luck to Sophie, I hope she does well on the chemo :)

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS