Nothing Major But An "off" Day Here

Given other's medical problems these are minor. But I'm a worrier.

Gracie's been a bit off for the past 2 weeks. It's as if on her birthday she decided she's old. Eating/pooping/running OK. Today she started limping. I can't find anything wrong with her front leg, shoulder or foot and pads. What worries me most is that I dreamed she had cancer and too often my dreams (the very few I remember) come true. I am definitely going to do some positive thoughts before bedtime.

I gave Gracie one of Oliver's Rimadyls and hope by morning that this was just a strain.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Kisses and biskies and stuffies for Miss Gracie. Sometimes we seniors just have achey bones and need an extra cookie to get us through the day.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

She just turned 7 on May 1st. Even my DH said that was the day he thought she changed too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Winterwish

Maybe it's the higher temperatures of summer coming,and maybe it could be just a bit of fatigue. Sending good thoughts out for Gracie! :gh_lay:dogcookie :dogcookie

Guest KateWantsaGrey

I have an old injury to one of my knees, and I know when the weather changes it always flares up. If it's going to rain, my knee aches also. Maybe it's something like that for her? Has there been a change in the barometric pressure?

Sending many prayers and bright white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Gracie continues to limp. No tender areas toes-to-shoulders/neck. No corns. She tries to run (dang squirrels!) but catches herself and stops.

This is so not like her. :( I have been giving her Rimadyl with little effect.

I've made a vet appointment for her Friday afternoon. I asked their protocol if she needed xrays and the reply was no food/water for 12 hours prior to appt. How standard is that timeline? Certainly if she had a very light breakfast at 5:30 am and a bit of water, but then nothing until 3:30pm that should be enough time for her stomach to empty. When doing human xray studies we always told patients no food/water after midnight.

What specific lab work might show a cancer? What pain or anti-inflammatory med would help rather than Rimadyl since it is giving her loose poop?

tiny hada siggy.png

Since the Rimadyl hasn't helped, quit giving it. You need some time off between Rimadyl and other meds that you might want to try.

Other than Rimadyl: There are other NSAIDs such as Metacam and Deramaxx that some dogs tolerate better than Rimadyl. But, if the Rimadyl isn't helping her, chances are another NSAID won't either. Depending on what is wrong, Tramadol, prednisone, or a muscle relaxant might be better.

Will your vet do a range of motion check before x-rays? That is often where things like neck/back pain/strain show up.

Does your vet always anaesthetize for x-rays? That's the main reason you'd need to withhold food and water.

Bad news: Cancers often don't show up in bloodwork. Good news: Lots of reasons besides cancer that dogs have pain and limp.

Hugs and luck. Hope your baby is feeling better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gracie saw the vet today. Her limp has been the same all week - not severe but just enough to worry me.

Vet did a thorough physical exam and gave her an injection of dexamethasone (anti-inflamatory steroid) since she hadn't tolerated the Rimadyl well.

We are to call him next week with an update. If she hasn't improved he'll consider a closer look. He is always amused by the written patient "history" I type up for any visit. :P

:)

tiny hada siggy.png