Allergies

Guest Jacksback54

Guest Jacksback54

I need some help on solving an allergy that results in red swollen feet that my dog licks. I have had him to a dematologist and no results! Tried all different types of food, ointments etc.

I'd suspect environmental allergies, such as grass, etc.

Dogs also lick at areas that hurt, is it possible that his feet or ankles are sore?

If it's just feet, it could be environmental or it could be food.

For environmental, it can be a big help to rinse his feet off well before he comes indoors, each time he goes out.

For food, well, that's a challenge. You can try an elimination diet, which is a pain. You can also try looking for a food that has very few ingredients that are different from what you are feeding now -- sometimes very difficult. I found out by accident -- before I'd spent too much on vets, tests, etc. -- that Batman was allergic to fish/fish oil. His one and only symptom? Red itchy feet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

If this is a fairly recent occurance, you might want to check your lawn treatment.

Have you put any chemicals, organic fertilizers, weed treatments on your lawn? This can cause inflammation and irritation as well.

All of the above! Feet are usually something topical or food. Did you have allergy testing done? Recent lawn treatments?

If you need a simple elimanation diet-we are using Wellness Simple Solutions. They have a Duck and Potato I think, but we are using Venison and Rice.

No snacks other than the kibble or treats or anything. We learned that Hogan can do milk, but dumb me didn't understand the ingredients on the yogurt (fructose is made from corn syrup) and after a week there was a reaction.

Allergies are tricky.

Guest Jennifer4719

My mixed breed has seasonal allergies from April until June. It is something that makes her chew her feet and legs and itch her face. My vet gave me Temaril P which is a steroid and antihistamine. It works wonderfully and this year as soon as I saw Honey start itching I started her on one pill a day and so far her itching has been slowed way down.