Limping And Swelling

Guest KipperGrey

Guest KipperGrey

Now that I think about it this may have started a week ago. I was sitting on my fireplace mantle and Kip was really getting in my face so I gave him a nudge backwards, on his chest. He yelped and scared me. I didn't know what I did. I didn't push him that hard. This was on his front right. His leg looked fine, no damage and he was walking fine so I didn't think anything of it. A few days later I was trimming his nails and he kept pulling his right front away from me and yelped once when I tried to get it back. OK now I was thinking about it more. I figured that maybe he bumped into something since he can't see and just had a bruise or something. He was still walking on it just fine at that point. Well today he developed a limp and swelling in that front right leg. It is swollen mainly from just above the wrist to his toes. While he was laying down I inspected the leg, looking for any cuts or visible bruises. There were none, next I was moving his joints and feeling them and nothing seemed to phase him. I can't find the source of pain from flexing his joints or touching. I wasn't pushing or moving too vigorously since I didn't want to hurt him anymore. I am going to take him to the vet obviously but I have a few questions:

1. What could cause swelling and limping but no obvious painful spots?

2. It there a way to tell if the limp is originating from the shoulder vs elbow or wrist?

3. I'm scared its the dreaded C word :unsure

4. Is there anything I can give him to make him more comfortable till we can get to the vet?

He is still bearing weight on it but I can tell he is trying to not walk to much because he didn't go out to his favorite potty spot in the yard but went as soon as he hit the grass. Last night he went right on the deck but he wasn't limping then so I thought he was just being afraid of the dark like he can sometime be(I think he can still see shapes in bright light but totally blind in lower light situations). I also noticed his rear right is a just a little swollen as well but no limping there. We had something similar about a year ago and blood tests showed his liver levels were off but that resolved itself.

Jake had swelling in his chest and shoulder area last fall. I didn't notice the swelling until the massage therapist pointed it out to me. We have no idea to this day what he did, but it started with limping. The vet couldn't find anything but was pretty sure it was soft tissue as you could manipulate his entire front leg without sign of pain. Then a few days later he was much worse and wouldn't put any weight on it. I took him to a canine massage therapist and she showed me the swelling an heat. On her suggestion we gave him traumeel a holistic ant inflamitory. Plus heat for 5 min, alternated with icing.

Without an x-ray there is no way to be sure it's a broken bone or....well anything else. I'd treat the symptoms the same way you would yourself. Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate.

Praying it's just a pulled ligament or sprain.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest KipperGrey

Its been a long time since I have had to do X-rays for a pet. Approximately how much does a series of xrays for a leg cost. Do they normally sedate for xrays? Should I give him some time to see if it resolves before I rush to the vet?

I do have to say that in the almost 5 years that we have had Kip he has never had a a limp once so this is a first for us. He is almost 9. We have had swelling but never a limp.

Edited by KipperGrey

Have you had a TBD panel run? That would be first on my list.

As for cost of x-rays, depends on if they sedate. Around here, no sedation runs $80 - 95, with sedation $150 - 300.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest wilsontrixie

my guy busted a toe before christmas...the xrays of his foot up to the area where the "usuless" paw pad is (ankle i think you are calling it) was about 50.00 with no sedation and 2 views of the foot/ankle.

it may be a toe but inside the foot...

if i am correct, bone cancer usually doesn't present in a foot, it's usually long bones..the big ones that really count!

Guest KipperGrey

I called first thing this morning and we are headed to the vet in about 2 hours. The swelling in his front right "wrist" has almost doubled since I left for work this morning. I looked him over again and maybe it was the lighting last night but his back leg looks normal today. His limp is pretty bad. Poor guy! Please keep us in your thoughts.

Guest greymom1997

My Hammer had the same symptoms.... swelling of foot (his left rear) and limping.... It was diagnosed and treated as a result (symptom) of Lyme disease (funny since he was current on his vaccs), but then 2 years later it returned and I thought it would be treated with a dose of doxy. It turned out to be osteosarcoma that time... he died two weeks later... it grew that fast...

I don't want to scare you, but get a tick borne panel done... if neg... get that x-ray.... wilsontrixie is right about the cancer being in the long bone, but the swelling was pooling itself in the foot on my Hammer while the cancer was growing on the inside front leg..... The vet examined him upon our 1st visit , there was no cancer there, then 2 wks later you could actually see it with your own eyes...

Pls I don't want to alarm you, I just want you to be armed with as much knowledge as you can.... It could be nothing serious....

Sending prayers that this is nothing serious. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I called first thing this morning and we are headed to the vet in about 2 hours. The swelling in his front right "wrist" has almost doubled since I left for work this morning. I looked him over again and maybe it was the lighting last night but his back leg looks normal today. His limp is pretty bad. Poor guy! Please keep us in your thoughts.

Hope you can get some answers and it's a simple over-extension or something. Keep us posted!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I don't want to scare you, but get a tick borne panel done... if neg... get that x-ray....

Actually, get both at the same time. It may mean you end up spending more money, but if it is cancer you want to know as soon as possible. Really hoping that's not it. Babesia or other TBD also popped into my head. Please keep us posted.

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KipperGrey

Vet said he thinks he just sprained or strained it. He gave him an injection of steroids and sent us home with some to give over the next few days. He said if he isn't better by Friday he wants to do x-rays. He said he didn't think it was a TBD or cancer because of the fluid build up and not a mass. Like me he couldn't find any obvious ouchy spots other than when really flexing his wrist. I am crossing my fingers that he is feeling better by Friday. I will see if I can get a pic of his wrist later. His leg is like a stuffed sausage it is so swollen.