Acepromazine For Thunderphobia?

Guest greytwannabe

Guest greytwannabe

I recently got a RX for Acepromazine 25mg tablets to help with my greyhound's thunderphobia. I gave it to her once and it really helped during a storm but she was really sedated (I even halved the dose) and she seemed slightly hungover the next morning. Has anyone used this for their thunderphobic grey? We have tried numerous other techniques, remedies, etc with no help. I just want to make sure I'm not causing more harm than good. Thanks for your help in advance!!

Marian, adopted by the brindle beauties

Mariah(12),Emma(11),Oprah(10) and Valentine(4)

Guest RICHandJUDE

Yes, we have used Acepromazine for both our Greyhounds during thunderstorms.

(Hopefully before the storms arrive). The drug does work. The vet prescribed

10 MG tablets. We are supposed to give one or two tablets at a time.

I have tried Oxyfresh Pet Relaxants from the vet but they don't work very

well for us. It is an herb and isn't a drug.

The Acepromazine does mellow them out and they are drousey for awhile. I rather them be

drousey than all stressed out. Without the drug, Mike has ripped the molding off the wall,

scratched the heck out of our sliding glass door and ripped 6 panels of curtains.

We are supposed to get storms tomorrow evening. UGH!

Richard.

and for fireworks, the desensitising CD worked really well!

Which cd is that, silverfish? The 'Canine Lullabies' one or something different.....and where did you get it? My girl was never bothered by fireworks till last Novemeber when they were horrendous round here and now she is frightened of any bangs like shooting and bird scarers too so I could do with something that might help her before the next lot start up.

With regard to the 'ACE'....this was mentioned on another board recently and the 'resident vet' Dr.Bill Feeman posted the following info which I'm sure he won't mind being passed on:-

I would NOT recommend Acepromazine for anxiety! Acepromazine doesn't do anything to reliever anxiety... it only sedates the animal to a point that they are too tired to act on their anxiety. Imagine if you were scared of snakes and then got dropped into a room filled with snakes. Pretty scary. Now, you are dropped in that same room but you are completely exhausted after having just finished a triathalon. You may be too tired to run out of hte room but it doesn't make you any less scared!!!

Acepromazine is a popular medication for car trips b/c it also has some anti-nausea properties but it really isn't appropriate for noise phobias or most other forms of anxiety.

Edited by Ragsysmum

Sue from England

Guest longdogs

As per Ragsysmum's post, research does NOT support the use of ACE to control fear and it can make things worse. ACE is a good safe drug for other things.

Guest KennelMom

I completely agree with Ragsymum's post. I wouldn't use it in anxiety situations...the example with the snakes is a perfect analogy.

I have also read the same thing about ACE, that it is not recommended for anxiety. I believe it was Patricia McConnell in her booklet "I'll be home soon" (about SA) who talked about a study with this med - she recommended not using it.

Edited by Ola

Certainly worth exploring other meds/techniques ... but ... assuming the dog tolerates the medication ... if it's a choice between the dog having some Ace and the dog injuring him/herself trying to escape the storm, I'd give the Ace.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think it depends on the dog.

My old Jim used to just get on his bed and go peacefully to sleep once he'd had a dose of ACP, so I don't believe the snake pit theory held good for him. :P But - and it is a big 'but' - he did used to be groggy for hours and hours. And very groggy, too. He didn't look comfortable during that phase.

I'd recommend finding another option too - I don't use it now - but for a dog who went so nuts s/he was in danger of injury, I agree with Jey. It would be the lesser of the two evils.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GreyGirl81

I use Ace for Toby's thunder phobia. I tried everything else....DAP, Rescue Remedy, melatonin, Canine Lullaby cd, and we even tried a storm cd to desensitize. Nothing took the edge off for him. For me, I'd rather have Toby curled up sleeping in the bathtub with a blanket than a panting, shivering, slobbering mess.

Guest RICHandJUDE
and for fireworks, the desensitising CD worked really well!

Which cd is that, silverfish? The 'Canine Lullabies' one or something different.....and where did you get it? My girl was never bothered by fireworks till last Novemeber when they were horrendous round here and now she is frightened of any bangs like shooting and bird scarers too so I could do with something that might help her before the next lot start up.

With regard to the 'ACE'....this was mentioned on another board recently and the 'resident vet' Dr.Bill Feeman posted the following info which I'm sure he won't mind being passed on:-

I would NOT recommend Acepromazine for anxiety! Acepromazine doesn't do anything to reliever anxiety... it only sedates the animal to a point that they are too tired to act on their anxiety. Imagine if you were scared of snakes and then got dropped into a room filled with snakes. Pretty scary. Now, you are dropped in that same room but you are completely exhausted after having just finished a triathalon. You may be too tired to run out of hte room but it doesn't make you any less scared!!!

Acepromazine is a popular medication for car trips b/c it also has some anti-nausea properties but it really isn't appropriate for noise phobias or most other forms of anxiety.

I have met Dr. Feeman and respect him. However, I have tried about everything when it comes to anxiety and thunderstorms with my two greyts. I have had nothing work except for ACE. When a thunderstorm hits, my two (especially the female) go crazy. They pace throughout the house, they slobber, they pant and they shake. My male has chewed the molding off the wall and ripped 6 panels of curtains during a storm. This can go on for hours. When I give them the ACE, (10MG) they lay down and and go to sleep after about 1/2 an hour. Like I said, we have tried the CD's and many other things to no avail. We pay our vet 'good money' to care for our two babies and we trust him when he prescribes the medication.

Our greyhound group uses Ace on their dogs also, when needed. I see Dr. Feeman at many of our group's functions.

Just my opinion. Richard

Guest daberle

I've found Peace and Calming works on my hound during storms and fireworks..

click products, peace and calming is listed under "blends"

I've tried RR, drugs and didn't like what they did to her. This stuff is great.

Guest longdogs
When I give them the ACE, (10MG) they lay down and and go to sleep after about 1/2 an hour. Like I said, we have tried the CD's and many other things to no avail. We pay our vet 'good money' to care for our two babies and we trust him when he prescribes the medication.

The research is new and lots of vets aren't aware of the problem. One of the points made in the study is that ACE makes the owners happy because their dog appears calm. In fact they can often be just as terrified as before. Silverfish has another good point. We tried ACE (10mg) on William before we knew of the study. The first problem - and another story - was getting the pill down him once he was fearful. It took a while to kick-in, then turned him very groggy for hours. He still panted and fretted and didn't really sleep. I have visions of him staggering around the house in the middle of the night looking for a drink of water, long after the storm had passed, with his legs splayed out in all directions.

Guest GreyGirl81

I give Toby half of a 25 mg pill. He sleeps and when he wakes up about 2-3 hours later the storm is gone. He doesn't have any after effects that I notice and doesn't seem groggy. Also, if I have to I can wake him up and he gets around just fine. Maybe it is different for each dog.

Edited by GreyGirl81

Guest canagreyts

Our Maggie has been very afraid of thunderstorms since we adopted her five years ago. We have consistently done the exact opposite of what you're told to do with fearful dogs and have found Maggie to be less stressed as thunderstorms roll in.

We can tell when she's starting to get stressed and we give her 1/4 of a 50mg gravol. Then . . . we spend lots of time with her when she's upset. We talk to her, cuddle her on the bed and give her lots of attention. I think she's comforted by our presence (as a little child would be) and I do not believe the attention makes her worse.

She always reacts to thunderstorms but I honestly believe the last few summers she has been a little better!

As per Ragsysmum's post, research does NOT support the use of ACE to control fear and it can make things worse. ACE is a good safe drug for other things.

What research? Do you know what studies were done? They'd be interesting to read.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest HHDesigns

Formerly used Ace with not much good effect and did not like the groggines. Just started using Xanex and seems to be working much better. I had read an article in The Whole Dog Journal about these types of meds. It said the same as reported above about the Ace and one of the drugs recommended was Xanex. So far this is working better for poor Admiral... he starts panting and shaking if he hears it RAINING much less when the thunder and lightning start.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paulamariez

We had to resort to using the Ace with our one greyhound and our husky. I agree with with the doctor said about the snakes, but these dogs were on the verge of giving themselves a heart attack, panting, shaking uncontrollably refusing to even sit down and this lasts for hours even after the storm passes. We felt it was better for the dogs to sleep thru the storms rather than go thru such a stressful situation, especially since this fear seemed to escalate with their advancing age. Now that the husky is almost deaf, she doesn't hear the thunder and the storms don't bother her so much, so she doesn't have to take it any more. That goes against the theory that says the dogs are bothered by the static electricity of the oncoming storm.

Guest longdogs

I don't have access to this journal to check, but I think this was the reference:

Physiological and behavioral reactivity to stress in thunderstorm-phobic dogs and their caregivers

Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 95, Issues 3-4, December 2005, Pages 153-168

Nancy A. Dreschel and Douglas A. Granger