Hi, I Don't Think I'll Be Getting A Greyhound And I'm Disa

Guest Ayla

Ayla, it occurs to me that they might have had a particular hound in mind that needs to be let out more often. Or they may be thinking of the transition between wherever their adoptables live before getting a home. Any chance you can take a couple of vacation days before and/or after a weekend so you can ease the dog from its old schedule onto your new schedule?

Best of luck with this. A home without a greyhound is an empty home indeed. (And please hug your Collie for me!)

I am planning to take a 5 day weekend to get acclimated and situated if I am able to adopt.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling better already!

Thanks. Lucy usually only goes out in the morning and a couple of times after work and I don't have any trouble.

I will keep hoping!

I had my home visit tonight. All went very, very well... Until they got to the part where they really want someone to be home to walk the dog after 6 hours. :sad1 I just am not able to do that. I work 35 minutes away and can not come home during the middle of the day to walk the dog.

My collie does just fine while I am gone.

Also, I have looked at a dog walker, but that is just too very expensive for me.

I'm really sad right now because I wanted this so very much and this group seems to real sticklers.

Oh well..... I'll probably have to worship from afar.

I'll let you know what happens. I should know within a week.

Ayla

I want to Thank Everyone for replying. I am feeling much better now. I really think the only objection was my length of time away from home, and that is not abnormally long. My home is clean, I have plenty of room for 2 dogs. I live in a dog friendly apartment development that even has a large dog park enclosure so I can let my dog off leash. I don't have little kids, etc. and so on.

I think these people tried to scare me, just to make sure that I really want a greyhound baby. The only thing that they made note of are my 2 8 foot tall cactus. I have had the mother plant for 8 years and the offspring (one of 4 is now 8 feet tall). They were afraid that the dog would poke itself. LOl Lucy has never even sniffed the cactus. And... I can wrap some cardboard around the bottoms if that is an issue.

They went all through bloodwork on greyhounds with me.

At any rate, I am feeling much more better :colgate

I will keep you updated :)

Guest GREENSTGREYS

Good Luck,some of these groups seem to be pretty unrealistic,most of us have to work for a living to keep our pups in stuffies. I have never heard that greyhounds have special bladder needs beyond those of "regular" dogs meaning anyone who works 40 hours shouldn't have a dog?

Guest lovegreythounds

There's more than one group in the sea... and literally thousands of greyhounds looking for their forever home! Keep your chin up and keep looking :nod your hound is out there somewhere waiting for you :grouphug

The only thing that they made note of are my 2 8 foot tall cactus. I have had the mother plant for 8 years and the offspring (one of 4 is now 8 feet tall). They were afraid that the dog would poke itself. LOl Lucy has never even sniffed the cactus. And... I can wrap some cardboard around the bottoms if that is an issue.

My dog-sitter has several cactus plants. I was nervous about them when I first left Celeste there, but Celeste was fine. My dog-sitter has two greyhounds of her own and never had a problem with them getting poked by them either.

As for the time alone... Celeste is left home alone for about 8-9 hours and does fine. Hubby did come home to walk her at lunch for the first couple of months, but he pretty much had to drag her outside.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I guess a dog door isn't an option for you, if you live in an apartment :P Let us know how things turn out. There are plenty of amazing people on the site that could help you if this group turns you away. Good Luck...it's probably torture waiting to hear from them!

Don't sweat it. When I was first looking into adoption I ran into one group who told me that I needed to make $50k a year to have a greyhound. SO whatever!!!! Some groups are really funny and say some stuid stuff. You might just need to find another that has some reasonable expectations. Best of Luck.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest indigojen
Don't sweat it. When I was first looking into adoption I ran into one group who told me that I needed to make $50k a year to have a greyhound. SO whatever!!!! Some groups are really funny and say some stuid stuff. You might just need to find another that has some reasonable expectations. Best of Luck.

Holy cow - I was making $18,000 a year Full Time when we got Wave and Willie!! Gwynn wasn't making much more - we would have been turned down for sure :lol

Neither of us routinely comes home for lunch, either. I figure if they can hold it all night, they can hold it all day :rolleyes:

Jen

I wouldn't think that would be an issue. :) I work 8 hours a day with a 30 - 45 minute commute. They do just fine.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

6-8 hours is the norm. Most people have to work for a living. It must be nice to be indepently wealthy enough not to have to work!!! ;)

If you live close to NJ/DE/PA, let me know.

If not. locate another group. After 8 hours, yes you would probaby need a dog walker. That's ridiculous.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project