Gracie's Toe

I was just getting the dogs out for the last potty of the night and Gracie did not want to get up. I saw that she'd been licking her rear foot.

She did go out and pee and barely put any weight on that foot. She has not done any hard running. She was fine 3 hours ago.

Two toes look swollen to me, one more so than the other.

019.jpg

Once lying down again she will let me touch her toes a little. I do not see any bug bites (sometimes we have fire ants) and the pads are intact. I do not see any cuts.

But I do see some crusty stuff on the side of the more-swollen toe at the base of the nail. Never noticed it before.

The crusty stuff is only at the base of one toe. The toe nails are are not peeling or splitting.

023.jpg

Does SLO or pemphigus start this way? Is the crusty stuff not related to the swelling?

I've given her one benadryl is case it was a bite and one tramadol for pain.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Did the epsom salt soak. Checked the toes and can't see anything obvious. It looks more swollen this morning so I gave her 2 tramadol for the pain. She normally tolerates tramadol well, but she's panting like she's still hurting and is restless. Keeps wanting to lick it. Gracie can be quite the drama queen when she feels a little bit off.

Dang emergency vet doesn't open until 1pm on Saturdays. Regular vet is closed.

I am debating about giving her another tramadol or maybe one valium (vet-prescribed for her occasional back spasms) until we can get to the E-ve.

Editing to add that Dee reminded me I could give her rimadyl. That was about an hour ago and she is finally relaxing a bit although still uncomfortable.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just now back form the vet. She says the crusty stuff is a fungus and I can put a topical on that. Upon closer inspection she could see that the nail has a split, starting at the base. I am to keep an eye on it and trim as needed as the split progresses. She thought it may, in many weeks, fall off or need to be removed. The other toe was fine.

The toe was warm to the touch and Gracie had a 103 fever. However, her blood work was normal with no signs of infection. Vet said that was not unusual. The temp could be a reaction to the pain/trauma. There was no drainage/seeping. We can use: -the cephalexin that I already had -tramadol for pain, one every 12 hours, already had some on hand -rimadyl -we're to continue with the epsom salt soaks I've got baby socks, the rubber balloon type booties and one therapaw so I've got plenty to annoy her with with those. I wish our regular vet still had Saturday hours. Just to walk in the door at the E-vet (owned by my regular vet andn others) is $93 up until 10pm and then even more after that. At least the vet on duty today was one of the nice ones who doesn't get carried away with extra charges and doesn't mind writing an Rx for me to fill elsewhere. Gracie and I were supposed to do a M&G today but I've re-scheduled until later in the month. And so the crisis it past. I hated to see her uncomfortable. I think by the time we got home that the tramadol was finally having some affect. I did ask about SLO but the vet wasn't familiar with it. She did mention pemphigus but said a biopsy would be needed for that and she didn't think it was necessary now.

Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts. Gracie is resting comfortably now.

tiny hada siggy.png

Aw, beautiful Gracie! Hope you feel better tomorrow, honey! Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead