Anxiety Between 2 Am & 5 Am

Guest Tequila

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tequila

I apologize -- for some bizarre reason, I cannot see the text that I am typing. There is no cursor, the entire box is white, so I'm basically typing into "nothing" .... I will cross my fingers and hope thetre arent' too many typos. I cannot see waht I have typed until AFTER I post it. Very strange.

Anyway....here's my best try....

My 3-yeard-old, Tequila, is having bouts of anxiety in the mdidle of the night for no apparent reason. She acts the way a dog would during a thrunderstorm -- shaking, panting, but also crying and whining to go outside. When I let her out, she will pee or [oop, but then after she comes back insid,e she will immediately begin whining AGAIN to go back outside. I discovered she was digging holes (in the middle of hethe night)...so once I realized THAT was teh reason she was whining to go out, I stopped letting her out (after she had done her business......for example, the FIRST time I'd let her out, I'd watch her, make SURE she was peeing or pooping, and then that was it. The next time she whined/barked, which was about 2 minutes later, I simply let her "cry it out" and eventually she laid down and went to sleep. (This is weird -- NOW I can see my typing.... it's like everything I typed previously is up HIGHER, above where the available type box is, and it's hidden behind something)...

Alright...so back to the topic. She started this about 5 nights ago. There HAVE been a few changes that may have sparked the behavior: We have had contractors working in the house recently -- a painter, a tile guy (putting in a new bathroom floor), etc...and there were drop cloths on the carpet which I understand can affect their normal behavior. Anything out of the ordinary "routine" can affect a grey easily. But the contractors finished up on Thursday, and all the drop cloths have been removed and the house is "back to normal."

Perhaps with the snow melting, the ground is more tempting right now (soft, wet, with lots of new "smells") and maybe she's digging to get to whatever smells do good now that she CAN smell the ground without the snow. But she keeps doing this between 2 & 5am.

Typically, I will take her for a LONG walk (30 - 40 minutes) around 8:00 PM to hopefully tire her out. When we get back, she gets her favorite snack (liverwurst), and then she'll often lay down on her bed. Then around 11:00 PM or 11:30 PM, I let her out into our fenced-in backyard for her final "outting" of the night. I watch to see what she does, and she will usually pee or poop or both. Then, once back inside, she curls up to go to sleep.

Then....around 2 or 3am, the whining/barking begins. I would ignore it completely if I wasn't sure she didn't have to go out....but when I let her out, she DOES pee (or poop) so I don't want to deny her that option. She is a wonderful girl and NEVER has accidents in the house. But once she goes, I KNOW she doesn't have to "go" again 2 minutes later! She simply wants to dig holes, or just "be outside." When I watch her the 2nd time, she will sometimes just stand there in the yard and look back at me.

But it's more than just digging -- she is panting....and sometimes shaking a little bit, as though afraid (as if there were a thunderstorm). I have no idea what is causing her to wake up in the middle of the night and do this. Perhaps I need some type of medication to help calm her....but I'd rather work on correcting the behavior first. I have a phone call into my vet for advice.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Maybe it's just a combination of the snow melting, the contractors working in the house, etc. We have had to alter the route we normally walk, due to sidewalks still being snow-covered or blocked by downed trees...so we've had to walk in the street sometimes. So there HAVE been some things that might have caused this...but nothing TOO severe or dramatic. I thought giving her more exercise (longer walks) would help....but it hasn't really made much of a difference.

I have also tried putting on her calming collar, and giving her a few drops of Rescue Remedy -- no luck.

Sigh....I'm exhausted....haven't slept well in about 5 days.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks (and sorry for the issues with typing earlier)

Kathy

Guest 4dogscrazy

That's weird you mention the "white box" thing, that happens to me at work! But not at home. I can't figure it out either, but I thought maybe it was because I was signed in twice? Do you use two computers to post? It IS very weird and frustrating.

Anyway, with the shaking it does sound like she is "freaking out" about something, almost like an Sep Anxiety thing. Is there some kind out outside noise that sets it off, something she can hear but you can't? A train in the distance? (are there still trains?? lol) A bread truck that loads/unloads, newspaper delivery person? If she were just wanting to go out, I would use the VOG go-lay-down thing, but shaking? Hope someone else has something good to add! Good luck, sleep depravation is not fun for anyone.

Guest Tequila

That's weird you mention the "white box" thing, that happens to me at work! But not at home. I can't figure it out either, but I thought maybe it was because I was signed in twice? Do you use two computers to post? It IS very weird and frustrating.

Anyway, with the shaking it does sound like she is "freaking out" about something, almost like an Sep Anxiety thing. Is there some kind out outside noise that sets it off, something she can hear but you can't? A train in the distance? (are there still trains?? lol) A bread truck that loads/unloads, newspaper delivery person? If she were just wanting to go out, I would use the VOG go-lay-down thing, but shaking? Hope someone else has something good to add! Good luck, sleep depravation is not fun for anyone.

There are no noises that I am aware of -- it's a quiet neighborhood. I have , on a few ccasions, had to actually go outside and get her, and carry her back into the house because she was just standing there looking at me. She wouldn't come inside on her own. Very strange. It's like something about the house was frightening her, and she was desperate to get into the backyard.

I should add that she has always been a little bit of a spook. She could be sound asleep in her bed, and then suddenly (for no reason -- no noises, no change in the room whatsoever), she would jump up and RUN to another room. Almost like she had a nightmare. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but it's the best way I can explain it. And sometimes she will return to her bed within minutes. Almost as if she realized "Oh. Okay. Nothing to be afraid of"....and then lay back down again.

The other night, after she had ALREADY peed & pooped a few minutes prior, I went over to her at the door (where she was whining to go out again), picked her up and carried her back to her bed. Placed her on her bed and told her to "lay down and go to sleep." To my surprise, she DID! But then about 20 minutes later she got up again.

The vet called back a few minutes ago, and after I discussed the behavior in detail, she advised me to wait a few more days and see if it continues. Of course we want to rule out any medical reason, but it really doesn't sound like this is medically related -- I believe it's purely behavioral. She is eating normally, and acts normally during the day.... so I think it's just something mentally that is frightening her at night. I'm hoping (like the vet said) that it will pass as things continue in a normal routine (no contractors working in the house). I feel so helpless because I don't know how to help her relax. I don't want to give her treats in the middle of the night, because then she might start to think "I know! If I whine, I'll get a treat!" The last thing I want to do is start rewarding this behavior....so usually, I tell her to go lay down and go to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Guest Energy11

Wow! could be a combination of things!

I'd get bloodwork and an exam done to rule out something medical, like thyroid. I'd also ask the vet for Valium. That works for Curfew, who, after his stroke/"episode," was awake ALL night, and very very "antsy!" I called it Sundowing. This happens to humans with neurological problems, and things like Alzheimers. They are stimulated at night, and wander. Could be something neurological with your baby. Again, sooo hard to say.

I'd give it a day or two, like the vet said, and then, exam, bloodwork, and go from there. DO suggest the Valium! I was fit to be tied with Curfew. He STILL will lie and whine at night, until I figure out what he needs.

Good luck, and lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

p.s. I have the same posting problem, IF I go through AOL, and not Internet Explorer to access and post on her.

Edited by Energy11

Have experienced it a couple times, usually when there were critters out and one or more dogs wanted to go out and hunt again. If she doesn't seem to physically hurt and doesn't have to go out again, I'd do as you're doing and tell her to go lie down.

BUT it might be worth running a urine sample to your vet when they're open (Monday a.m.?) just to check for a UTI. That can also make for some restlessness and having to go out a million times without necessarily doing anything.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest iconsmum

I'd check a urine sample for a uti and then get hold of a DAP diffuser and plug it in close to her bed and let it run 24/7 for a week first before I'd go the valium route. We had an air show here last summer that was just ridiculous - planes rehearsing for a solid week and breaking the sound barrier over the city many times a day, which led to 2 of my (very stable) hounds becoming nuts at the sound of anything louder than a kitchen toaster popping up. I plugged in the DAP diffuser at the front door and the problem was more or less solved in 3 days. Now they're just suspicious at the sound of a passenger jet overhead, instead of glued to my ankles ...much better :))

Edited by iconsmum

I'm having a similar problem with one of my greys, except he does it during the evening. I know he is not sick, because he will happily eat when he is having anxiety. He was also desperate to go back out and did not want to come in, which makes me think it is something in the house. Lots of people suggested that perhaps he can hear some high pitched frequency that we can't and that is what is freaking him out.

For a while, I tracked the episodes and took note of what was on in our house - furnace, dishwasher etc. The only consistent thing I came up with is that it may be our old TV. (Which makes my husband happy because he is dying for a new one!)

People also suggested that I try melatonin - which you do not need a prescription for. They also said not to coddle him when he is all worked up, so it sounds like you are doing some good things.

Good luck! I know it is very frustrating - especially in the middle of the night!

Life with Leo the greyhound and Daisy the puggle.

Guest Tequila

I'm having a similar problem with one of my greys, except he does it during the evening. I know he is not sick, because he will happily eat when he is having anxiety. He was also desperate to go back out and did not want to come in, which makes me think it is something in the house. Lots of people suggested that perhaps he can hear some high pitched frequency that we can't and that is what is freaking him out.

For a while, I tracked the episodes and took note of what was on in our house - furnace, dishwasher etc. The only consistent thing I came up with is that it may be our old TV. (Which makes my husband happy because he is dying for a new one!)

People also suggested that I try melatonin - which you do not need a prescription for. They also said not to coddle him when he is all worked up, so it sounds like you are doing some good things.

Good luck! I know it is very frustrating - especially in the middle of the night!

Thanks for all the suggestions. If it's not better in another day or so, I'll check for a UTI. But I really think it's purely behavioral. I have blocked off a section of the backyard where she was digging, to give the grass a chance to heal (I'm going to need to re-seed several areas), and I think she's simply upset that she can't get to her "digging" area. But even so, I don't want her to think it's "okay" to go out in the middle of the night to dig.

Last night, I let her out at 12midnight, 2am, and 4am. At 12midnight, she peed. At 2am, she just wandered around and looked at the barricade blocking her "digging" area (looked disappointed, as if to say "Mom, are you gonna move that so I can go dig please??"), and then laid down at the bottom of the steps leading to the backyard (rather than walking up the steps to get back into the house). I gave her a few minutes, then called to her repeatedly until she finally came up the steps back into the house. At 4am, she peed AND pooped.

The reason I don't think it's a UTI is because she doesn't have this problem during daylight hours. And the panting makes me think she is afraid of something. I often leave the TV on all night, but she's used to that. The only noise that I know of that makes her get up and leave the room is me typing on the computer. Seriously! She doesn't like the sound of fingernails tapping on the keyboard for some reason. Other than that, she is very well-adjusted to all of the various "house" sounds.

Last night, after the 2am outting, she cried for about 5 minutes and then settled down. After the 4am outting, when she STARTED to cry, I told her to lay down and she did. Went to sleep. Then she got up again at 5am and just walked around the house for bit, then settled down again. So, she's RESTLESS at night ... that's the best way I can describe it.

I'm hoping that once the nice weather kicks in, and she can spend more time outside during the day, this will pass. I think she's just been cooped up in the house too long with all this snow. Is that possible?

Edited by Tequila

Wow! I would not personally be jumping to a medical mystery--

My guess is there is an animal in your yard and she can either smell it or hear it. It's that time of year--you could have some critter using your yard for romance, or just passing through!

Take a good long look in the daylight, and see if there's an area she's particularly interested in!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Tequila

Wow! I would not personally be jumping to a medical mystery--

My guess is there is an animal in your yard and she can either smell it or hear it. It's that time of year--you could have some critter using your yard for romance, or just passing through!

Take a good long look in the daylight, and see if there's an area she's particularly interested in!

Well, I think it IS a UTI after all. She had her first (ever) accident in the house this mroning. Peed by the door, a big pee, too. And this was about an hour after she had been let out to pee.......so......I am going to try my best to get a urine sample and get it to the vet and get her some medication. Anyone have tips on how to get a urine sample???

If she'll pee on leash, I just clip leash on as doggy is going out (in fenced back yard) and have a shallow container or yogurt cup to hold underneath as she squats. My Zema isn't a real low squatter so it works for her. Some folks use a clean pie tin and then empty into a ziploc bag or other container. Midstream catch is best, but go with what you can get.

I usually use the leash because sometimes doggy doesn't want to be followed and will trot away.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tequila

Thanks.....my girl is a low squatter, but then as she is finishing she lifts up a little bit higher, so this might wok out well for catching the mid-stream. She'll go on a leash, yes......sometimes! I'll just walk her til she goes.

Guest Hazel

hhi , hope this is typing O cannot see anything in the white box. Anyway this may sound really odd but have you ever considered ghosts ...I know it sounds like I am off my rocker but it has been proven our animals see what we don't like spirits that are around us at all times. Not to get into the whole ghost thing too deep but, spirits are disturbed when construction goes on in the house, yoiu did say that you were having work done..

This is a subject I happen to believe in because of personal experiences, however research it abit more. You may find your answer.

Just to add, the way to try to rid a home of spirits, (try to stay with me even if you think I'm crazy) is to

1. don't know what religion you are, I am catholic so every room must have a cheap set of roserys at a window or door. EVERY room up and down. these must be blessded.

2. when you have done that...simply let the spirit know you do not want them there it is now your home

I know it sounds out there but its been studied and I know first hand

GOOD LUCK sorry so long I'm new to this site so I'm not sure how to find your update on the problem but I'll keep looking, I'm curious if this could be it

Guest 4dogscrazy

Ha! ~ghosts are what I thought of too! :) seriously!

But I do have one example I thought of...my girl, Tempe, last weekend was a complete spaz. Same thing, walking around whining, pacing etc. I kept thinking she wanted out, but this went on for days, hours at a time. I think one of two things have happened: either she saw herself in the glass door to the backyard and spooked herself, as she kept looking outside that door and pacing OR (and probably more likely) a coyote was outside the fence and scared the bejesus out of her, hence the peeking outside the door. Just a thought, but this went on for days. I ignored her, and it went away on it's own. Imagine how scary a coyote would be to them! Would they know it's a "wild" dog? Lots to think about...

good luck, keep us updated, as we worry about ALL the houndies having troubles

Guest dragontearz

I'd go the vet route- I've never heard of animals seeing spirits being proven, or putting objects on doors and windows..seems a bit too tin foil hat territory to me but to each their own, Guinness gets sporadic cases of SA and shakes and whines once or twice a month if I'm in a different room, but the VOG telling him to go lay down usually works..but with the peeing in the house too, could be a UTI

Guest Tequila

UPDATE: Took Tequila to the vet last night (24-hour emergency vet.....with having to work today, I didn't want to wait until tonight to get her on anti-biotics if that's what she needed). Obtained and brought a long a urine sample and they did a urinalysis there. She had epithelial cells in her urine, which they said is a sign of infection, but it wasn't a "raging infection" 9their words). Just a slight bladder infection. They gave her Cephalexin to take for 2 weeks, and then I am to have her urine checked again at that time. I still might bring a urine sample to my regular vet for a urine culture, so it is more thorough. But I must say, she had a better night last night. She did not cry once! She got up around 2am to go out, but did not cry, just went to the back door. I wake up when I hear her tags jingle. So I let her out, she peed and came right bac inside! Yay! No whining in the yard, or hesitancy to come back into the house. And she went right to her bed and back to sleep. Next time she woke up was 6:30am when I got up for work (which is normal), and I let her out at which time she pooped and then peed. Fed her breakfast at 7:30 and gave her her second does of Cephalexin. The vet tells me that the anti-biotics should start to help her feel better in about 24 hours.....so that would mean tonight has been 24 hrs. Fingers crossed.

As for ghosts, hey, I don't think it's a crazy suggestion -- and because I don't really know what is causing the anxiety, I am open to ALL possibilities -- but I don't think it's ghosts because we are the original owners of the house. It was built in 1984, and there is no history other than my own family living here. I don't know a lot about ghosts, but I thought that there is usually a history behind their presence (ie: many years ago, someone was sick in the home, or passed away, or something similar.)I could be wrong.. like I said, I don't know a lot about ghosts, but it's a fairly new home without any other history. This is certainly interesting to consider, though, because I don't have a better explanation!

As for a coyote, there are none in my area. Could it be a smaller animal? Perhaps....but I don't think it would be possible for one to get into our yard with the fence. It's a vinyl fence that comes all the way down to the ground and it's 6-feet high. I know animals can jump it, but I've never seen one in the yard. I think she just enjoys digging holes. She likes the cool dirt , and it's so loose with the snow melting...it's very easy to dig right now. For the areas without grass (we have rubber mulch which is GREAT because it doesn't get their feet dirty like regular mulch does), I think I am going to fill in her holes with stones, and then cover them with the mulch. That way, if she attempts to dig there again, she'll reach the stones and that's not nearly as much fun as digging in dirt.

Also, I have read that burying a balloon or two is a great way to discourage digging. As they dig, they hit the balloon, it POPS, and that frightens them without you even being there to scold them. They might just be frightened enough to STOP digging, for fear there will be another loud "POP!" She knows not to dig when I am watching her, so this would work great because it wouldn't be ME that is causing her to stop.

Glass doors and mirrors ---- ah yes! She has always been fascinated with her reflection in mirrors. Not necessarily frightened, just curious. She'll stare for hours. Her route to the backyard is through the back door of the garage.... so she doesn't come in contact with a sliding glass door the way she goes out.

It will be interesting to see if someone of the anxiety goes away after her UTI clears up. She might have been digging out of frustration. Is that possible? She is uncomfortable, and she doesn't know why.

Anyway, that's the latest....I will try to post updates. I'm still interested in hearing any & all suggestions.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Well, a UTI is much easier to clear up than a ghost! lol Glad you have an answer, hopefully she is feeling better soon! :)

Fingers crossed that the abx will solve her problem!

Guest Tequila

UPDATE: No crying last night!

I walked Tequila at 8:30 PM for 40 mionutes.... anice, long walk. When we got back, she immediately went to her bed and laid down. Let her out around 12 midnght and she ppeed and came right back inside and went to sleep. She slept through most of the night, waking up around 5am (and I think that was because I got up to pee! She heard me walking around,a nd she woke up....so I let her out, too. And she peed). Then she went back to sleep until it was time for me to get up for work. So......progress! She doesn't seem to be restless anymore. She is still a little freaked out at times (by that, I mean she will dart from the room for no reason, as though frightened by something. Soemtimes she'll wake up from a sound sleep and run away -- like maybe she's having a nightmare???).

The downside of this is now she has diarhea. I dont' mean slightly, I mean, it's like pure liquid. I guess this is from the Cephalexin??? Anyone know if that causes diarhhea? Hopeing she won't have this the entire 2 weeks she is taking the antibiotic....but if she is, so be it.....need to clear up this bladder infection.

Guest mcsheltie

UPDATE: No crying last night!

I walked Tequila at 8:30 PM for 40 mionutes.... anice, long walk. When we got back, she immediately went to her bed and laid down. Let her out around 12 midnght and she ppeed and came right back inside and went to sleep. She slept through most of the night, waking up around 5am (and I think that was because I got up to pee! She heard me walking around,a nd she woke up....so I let her out, too. And she peed). Then she went back to sleep until it was time for me to get up for work. So......progress! She doesn't seem to be restless anymore. She is still a little freaked out at times (by that, I mean she will dart from the room for no reason, as though frightened by something. Soemtimes she'll wake up from a sound sleep and run away -- like maybe she's having a nightmare???).

The downside of this is now she has diarhea. I dont' mean slightly, I mean, it's like pure liquid. I guess this is from the Cephalexin??? Anyone know if that causes diarhhea? Hopeing she won't have this the entire 2 weeks she is taking the antibiotic....but if she is, so be it.....need to clear up this bladder infection.

It could be. I would let the vet know, there are other antis. She shouldn't have to have diarrhea for two weeks. If the Cepha is causing it, it may get worse the longer she takes it. Baytril is very effective for UTI and normally doesn't cause D.

You can also add probiotics. Don't give them at the same time as the Cepha. Given them fours before or after. Most of the time Cepha is prescribed 3x daily, so that can make the timing difficult.

Guest Tequila

I called my vet (even before reading your post, but thanks!!) and they are prescribing an anti-diarhheal and a pro-biotic (to be sprinkikled. oops. sprinkled (sorry, I can't see what I'm typing again) sprinkled on her food. So, I kinda HAVE to give her the pro-biotic at the same time as the Cephalexin because the Cephalexin must be taken with food (it can cause vomiting if taken on an empty stomach).

I sincerely hope she doesn't get constipated now. Poor baby. This too shall pass....but int hemeantime, I feel for her. I'll let you know what other medication my vet prescribes. I'll be picking it up tonight after work.

Oh wait, I just had an idea. I could always give her the pro-biotic separately, sprinkled on (mixed inwith) apple sauce. She likes apple sauce, and that is how I gave her Panacur when she needed de-worming. So, maybe I could separate the Cepha and the pro-biotic by giving her a littel "treat" at another time, of apple sacue with the pro-biotic on/in it.