Cricket, Whippet Extraordinaire

Pippin

I remember the day I met you, when I was meeting Angie for the first time. You were an old, quiet whippet, who stood back from the crowd but still watched with observant interest.

Then I house-sat for Dee, and the only instruction I remember from that weekend was "Don't worry if Cricket dies in his sleep... we're pretty sure it's just a matter of time." I watched you anxiously every time you lay down, and would often wake you just to make sure you were still breathing, since I couldn't really see your ribs moving.

It was March or April, and you wore a little fleece coat, because it was still chilly out, and you needed the extra warmth.

I remember going outside one time in a drizzle, and encouraging you to come into the house. You were just standing there, zoned out in your own world, not noticing the rain.

That was 2 years ago, and a little more. You were ancient when I met you, but not decrepit. Dee couldn't tell me how old you were, because you were a stray. But you were older than any other dog in the house, or so it seemed. The grand old man of the homestead, the patriarch.

You had a dignity that transcended your age, or your infirmity. And you were so patient, never demanding, never begging, just waiting until the other dogs had been satisfied and it was your turn.

I had so much respect for you. Cricket, the survivor, the fighter who had lived through things that would have killed a lesser dog.

You grew thinner in the last 2 years, but still had a healthy appetite and all your functions.

Even now, today, you eagerly ate your food. Yesterday had been a bad day for you, and Dee told me that she wasn't sure how much longer you had, but we've thought that about you so many times, and you always proved us wrong. The standing joke was that you would outlive all of us, because you had such a strong survivor mentality, and wouldn't/couldn't give up.

It was finally time, though. I don't know the details yet, because when I spoke with Dee earlier today, she said you were having a good day. But a few hours later, she called and left a message that she had decided it was time, and had just gotten home from helping you cross the bridge.

And I find myself weeping for you, even though you weren't my dog, even though I only saw you occasionally, when visiting or house-sitting.

You were the first whippet I ever met, and because of you I have a soft spot for all whippets.

I know you're in a better place, my friend. I know that you are running and jumping, and hearing and seeing again, and that there's no pain. And I know there are plenty of your friends there who are rejoicing to play with you again. We were telling Cricket stories just last night, and it was neat to hear how energetic you had been in your younger days. I know that you have all that energy back again, and are up to your old tricks.

I don't begrudge you any of that, my friend. I just wanted you to know that I will miss you, and that I'm honored to have known you, even if it was only for 2 years.

Tonight I will hug my girls, and toast your memory. And the next time I'm at Dee's, I'll instinctively look for you, and silently toast you again, when I realize you're not there. But I'll see you often, in my mind, standing in your yard, looking at the horizon that I can't see, searching for the bridge that you were finally able to cross.

Godspeed, dear Cricket. Send Dee a hug tonight, and run in her dreams so she knows you're ok now.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I know that I usurped Dee's prerogorative, posting about Cricket, but I needed to share that.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Run free sweetheart...run with the wind with a smile and with regained youth. My deepest sympathy to Cricket's family and friends. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

{{{{{{{{{{Dee & Jon}}}}}}}}}}

Your many friends here will miss you, Cricket. Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

f_yellow My sympathies to all whose lives Cricket touched.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful friend you have crossed paths with.May all of your loving memories bring you comfort at this time.I'm sure you will see him or he will send those sign to his mommy. Run with the angels over that beautiful bridge sweet Cricket.Until we meet again''Somewhere Over The Rainbow" :f_red:f_red