Torn Alc?

When my husky X tore her ACL at 9, the vet didn't recommend anything specific as far as rehab went. Lots of slow, leash walks for several weeks after the surgery, and just gradually increasing the length and pace and she did great, had a touch of arthritis as she got older but nothing that slowed her down at all. They did mention swimming if possible, but she hated water, so I never investigated it. I know there are animal rehab places, that have swimming set-ups that might work...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

My former dog, not a grey, suffered a complete rupture of his ACL. I was told that at his size (75 lbs. of pure muscle! My darling boy...) the only realistic option was a TPLO (tibial plateau leveling ostomy???).

Long story short, the surgery cost $2,700, the dog was in agony and would not heal. The 12 week recovery turned into 9 months, and one year, almost to the date, I woke up to a dog burning up with fever screaming in pain! It was a bone infection that had been festering all that time--which is why it wouldn't heal. What a nightmare. Another surgery, to remove the hardware they put in the first time, drain the joint, try and clean out the infection. With meds--that one ran about $3,000. Another 3 months of recovery, and TAH DAH! He was good as new!

MOST dogs do very well with a TPLO. My poor guy just happened to be unlucky. Bone infections happen, they take a LONG time sometimes to make the dog sick enough for you to figure it out.

Both vets were board certified orthopedic surgeons, by the way.

It was a rough time. He could not use the leg AT ALL, so there really wasn't an option to wait and see. It was bizarre too. He was just running on a flat grassy surface, then yelped once, and that was that.

I hope your Grey recovers quickly and fully!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest DorianGreyhound

Sure hvae, it's very common in pit bulls... I did not do surgery and said dog is fine three years later... was fine after six weeks of rest

Guest twilliams

The surgeon in Richmond that I was referred to for Molly's torn ligament was Dr. Suess ( pronounced like cease) at the Virginia Veterinary Surgical Associates on Cary Street - Phone # 353-9000.

\

So I was wondering how do I come across a board certified orthopedic surgeon? I saw that there is a list going of veterinarians that grey people recommend, but there's nothing listed so far in Virginia. Searching the Internet is exhausting... Charlie sees the second opinion vet on Thursday, the soonest they could get him in.

Charlie slipped out into the backyard today when I let my other two out, and ran circles around me for 15 minutes. :o Wasn't limping at all, until he finally stopped and I was able to get him inside. He wasn't limping that badly though. There really is no keeping that dog down... I wonder if he needs a sedative? I've felt so bad for him since all this started, because he looks like he wants to run and play so bad! :unsure