Worming

If one dog in the house has worms, do they all need to be wormed? I'm assuming yes. Also, do most people worm on a regular basis?

My foster, who's been here a little over two weeks, just suddenly has diarrhea. I haven't seen any worms, but am watching closely. :blink:

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

If one has it all should be treated or you just go round and round. Most worms are kept in control with the monthly heart worm pills, except may whip worms.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Look on your heartguard plus package and it tells you all the worms that are covered by the medication.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ask your vet. Mine said not to worm them all when Passion had tape worms which doens't pass to other dogs unless the other dogs has an infected flea.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

This is what I understand about worms - but I could definitely be wrong!!

There are all types of intestinal worms (heartworms, whipworm, roundworms). Heartguard and Interceptor prevent against them all except tapeworms. But I think if they already have worms it is not a high enough dose to kill them - only to prevent them. These types of worms are very contagious and it is important to clean the yard right away so the other dogs do not get them. If one of your dog has them you should worm them all. These are the more dangerous types of worms and can be hard to get rid of.

Then there are tapeworms and they are transmitted by injesting flea larvae. I was told by a vet that keeping them on Frontline will prevent them from getting tapes. I guess it is still possible to get them though if they injest it before Frontline can kill it. With tapes they are not passed on to the other animals unless they also injest a flea egg. These are the worms that you can see in their poop. They look like little rice pieces and are sometimes around their butt as well. These are not very harmful to the dog and can be easily treated with droncit.

Guest Guest_guest
There are all types of intestinal worms (heartworms, whipworm, roundworms).

Actually heartworms live in the heart, not the intestines.

• 4 years later...
Can one dog get tapeworms if they EAT infected feces? :yuck:sick

Tapeworms, no. They have to eat an infected flea.

Other worms, yes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ProudGreyMom

We went thru a bout of tapeworms with Molly, who was adopted from a shelter. We went out and got med for all 3 hounds as soon as we saw the gross worm. The vet tested Molly's stool after that and she was worm-free. I gave her one more treatment after that as well as Jake who is a doo eater!

This site has helpful (but gross) worm info:

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beagleheal...stinalworms.htm

Guest ChasesMum

We had a couple bouts with hookworms when we adopted Chase and she needed a couple rounds to finally get rid of them.

we get stool samples tested yearly usually and worm only if needed

Guest longdogs

All dogs (and cats) will need to be wormed. I prefer to use a simple heartworm treatment and use an 'all-wormer' every 3 months for the rest. This is because it works out cheaper, the 'all-wormers' are much more effective and also we have no current problems with hooks or whips. If we had these, a combined treatment like Heartgard Plus might be a better way to keep things under control.

Edited by longdogs