What Can It Be?

Guest Arias_Mom

Guest Arias_Mom

Aria has taken to limping. (want you to know we have a vet appointment). But not all the time. This morning she took off sprinting around the yard. It is her left back leg. I have moved it touched it prodded and nothing. No yelps, no pull backs, nothing. She only does it some of the time. (I am thinking possible arthritis). Any ideas.

Don't panic, the vet will help you figure it out, could be any number of things including arthritis or muscle cramps.

Stella did that for a while but on her front foot and it turned out to be a torn ligament in her toe.

Give Aria a big kiss from me and try not to worry yourself while you wait. Easier said than done, I know.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

I know that when I took Lily in for a limp, it was referred pain from a intervertebral disc disease, with radiation from C3-4. I now know that sometimes though the limp is in the foot (it was her front left foot), the pain is actually someplace else. After having her wear a harness for a month plus small dose Deramax, she is fine. I now do massage work on her and think we may have been fortunate to realize sooner instead of later potential issues for her. She is on Missing Link plus as well. Just didn't think about a spine issue would manifest itself into a limp issue, but then when you think about it, well yes that certainly is a possibility as well. I really think the massage work helped her a lot. We have gone 3 months now without any more flareups. Hope it is something simple and easily manageable. Good luck. Carole

Guest Arias_Mom

I too am massaging her till the vet visit. I thought it also might be up in the spine. She only does it occasionally, and especally if she sleeps on that side which I try to discourage. Silly girl was out running this morning. I told DH to stop her but he failed. Our vet is very good and did her intern work at a greyhound track. So she is very aware of grey needs. Thank goodness. Thanks all. Just a worried mama.

Guest auntiesara

It isn't uncommon to have an old track injury that shows up as a limp. If you have a holistic vet in your area we found that ours got a lot of relief from accupuncture and chiropractic. The glucosamine should help as well. Please keep us posted! Sara

In addition to what was recommended, if it's a muscle cramp, which is possible since it happens after running, try adding a banana to her feed each day. The potassium is great for cramps. In addition, I would keep her on leash walks for a while. Try to keep her going at a good pace and slowly increase distances. Zipping around the yard is pretty tough on her joints and whatnot, and for the time being I would try to avoid it.

Lynn

Sending hugs and prayers to Aria. Please let us know what the vet has to say. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest gryhoundgirl

sorry to hear you furkind is limping. My timmy did the same thing. he would only limp occasionally. however, i would first check the pawa and in between the toes. then off to the vet. we found out that timmy had valley fever 2 years after being off the track. It moved into his hip. we have been on meds for 2 years now and he is doing so much better but still has his bad days. he will be 4 on the 22nd. good luck

Heidi

Hi,

Broken toes at the track are very common and can flare up later as well. Get the foot xray'd and that will tell you a bit more. My boy has had two broken toes and he does have a slight limp once in a while. You can't tell by poking and prodding. I have found mine will limp just because it feels funny or is stiff.

• 3 years later...
Guest selma
Don't panic, the vet will help you figure it out, could be any number of things including arthritis or muscle cramps.

Stella did that for a while but on her front foot and it turned out to be a torn ligament in her toe.

Give Aria a big kiss from me and try not to worry yourself while you wait. Easier said than done, I know.

Hi,

I think my goofy guy may have a torn toe ligament too. Could you tell me what the symptoms were exactly and what treatment Stella got?

I've got two vets stumped with this one.

Thanks