Lyme antibodies

Skye's (mixed breed) snap test came up positive for Lyme antibodies. I'm not up on the latest research on Lyme in dogs. Can anyone point me toward current information, or share what they know?

We're going to do a course of doxy and run her urine to check for kidney issues. I'm out of town this coming weekend, but we have an appt for the following week to discuss further and possibly do blood work, but I'll start the doxy and drop off the urine in the meantime. 

I'm basically concerned about chronic infection. I know antibodies only mean she was exposed, but she had a weird bout of lameness at the beginning of the year. It was 2 months before we could get into the ortho, at which point she seemed better. He found nothing on exam and her x-rays we're pristine so I figured it was a muscle thing that had healed. But I'm now suspicious that she had an infection. I scheduled the upcoming visit because she's been a little "off" again lately. Seems like she has some discomfort in a back leg and pants really easily (pain? something else?). I may be totally off base, but if she did have an infection, is a single course of doxy considered sufficient these days? 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No, the visit was just a blood draw so I could get her heartworm meds before I go out of town so she's only had the snap test. Our appt isn't scheduled until next week (they have nothing sooner like everywhere else), but I'm supposed to drop off urine and pick up Doxy today. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

They could run the C6 from the already drawn blood sample (Idexx).  I wouldn’t start the doxy until you have results.  The basic understanding with C6 results is any result over 30 you start treatment, under 30 you recheck in 6 months.  Confusing to me why start an antibiotic without understanding why.

2 hours ago, tbhounds said:

They could run the C6 from the already drawn blood sample (Idexx).  I wouldn’t start the doxy until you have results.  The basic understanding with C6 results is any result over 30 you start treatment, under 30 you recheck in 6 months.  Confusing to me why start an antibiotic without understanding why.

I guess because she's presented with Lyme symptoms? I was able to get a cancellation appt with the vet I prefer for this evening, which is frankly a freaking miracle so thankfully I can have a better conversation about it before we do anything. I will definitely look into this and bring it up with her.

Is chronic Lyme not considered a thing in dogs anymore? 

Edited by NeylasMom

Actually doing some research now that you gave me a place to start and thinking we should do this:

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center/testing/protocols/lyme-multiplex-dogs

I forgot that she was vaccinated at one point, but it's been several years.