Hound wants to say hello to everyone!

Sometimes when out for a walk and someone is walking/jogging/running towards us, I will always try to cross as to not get in their way. However sometimes it's not possible with busy roads so I usually shorten the least right up and have my dog stick close to me while trying to give them room.

The problem is that Starry just LOVES to say hi to people and see if they have treats. He's quite rude and I don't want him to be obnoxious or startle anyone who isn't comfortable with dogs. Even with a short leash hold and keeping him close he will get super excited and want to say hello. The neighbors that know him love it but the strangers not so much, haha. It's pretty bad when people are jogging/running in our direction, he will think it's play time and start doing 360s taking up even more room on the sidewalk.

What I've been doing is to try and keep walking non chalantly to try and get him to realize it's not a big event, and if he gives any attention to the people trying to walk by I try to redirect his attention to me right away using our "hey pay attention" call. 

Is it just going to take more and more time and practice? Or is there anything additional I can do to help me realize that walking strangers is not the time to say hello! FWIW, he is a little over 3 years old now and I've had him for just about a year (gotcha day coming up next week!!)

Edited by Legendaryfrank

Rocket loved to meet everyone on our walks.  He was also a big boy and I'm sure that even with his tail wagging there were people walking toward us who were intimidated by his size.  Anytime someone would be coming toward us, I would tell him to "WAIT" and put him on the grass if there was any available, basically standing against me on a tight leash so that the walkway was clear for the person.  People couldn;t believe that he would just stand there and wait, and many of them would stop and pet him when they realized that he was well behaved. 

I would try to teach him to wait and see if that helps on your walks. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

Rocket loved to meet everyone on our walks.  He was also a big boy and I'm sure that even with his tail wagging there were people walking toward us who were intimidated by his size.  Anytime someone would be coming toward us, I would tell him to "WAIT" and put him on the grass if there was any available, basically standing against me on a tight leash so that the walkway was clear for the person.  People couldn;t believe that he would just stand there and wait, and many of them would stop and pet him when they realized that he was well behaved. 

I would try to teach him to wait and see if that helps on your walks. 

Thanks, thats a great idea! I already put him in a sit and stay position every single meal time to practice his patience, shouldn't be too much different to do it while standing :D

Definitely going to give this a shot! 

Edited by Legendaryfrank

1 hour ago, Legendaryfrank said:

Thanks, thats a great idea! I already put him in a sit and stay position every single meal time to practice his patience, shouldn't be too much different to do it while standing :D

Definitely going to give this a shot! 

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 2 weeks later...

My dog Badger is like this. He goes up to everyone, wagging his tail and sticking his nose in their crotch. By and large, everyone seems to love it, and I've been getting to know all my neighbours through him. They stop and give him a pat and have a chat. My other grey looks very standoffish and everyone ignores her. I feel sorry for her, she's very misunderstood. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, okslater said:

My dog Badger is like this. He goes up to everyone, wagging his tail and sticking his nose in their crotch. By and large, everyone seems to love it, and I've been getting to know all my neighbours through him. They stop and give him a pat and have a chat. My other grey looks very standoffish and everyone ignores her. I feel sorry for her, she's very misunderstood. 

Oh thats so sad for your girl haha. Good to know most people receive the sniff attack well, as I've seen too when I'm out and about although I don't try to let him do it all the time

I tried standing off to the side in the grass and letting another dog and owner by on my way back to my house, what happened was the other dog started to statue and freeze at the sight of Starry in the middle of the street while the owner tried to pull them away haha. Now I know to just start moving again in case that happens because I was standing there for about 15 seconds while she kept trying to tell him to come and cross the street to no avail until she pulled a treat out LOL