Grandma Mae's Country Naturals -- anyone else using it?

Doing a quick search I haven't seen many posts on this brand, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else's grey is eating Grandma Mae's Country Naturals.

Stanley's shelter had him on Taste of the Wild and rotated the varieties.  I continued doing this when we first adopted him so as not to disrupt things. He was doing well on it, except for a minor case of Round Two Pudding Poo (second poop of any given walk was of questionable character). I have read that this poop phenomenon is common in greys, and I even recall it happening in a lesser degree with my prior greyhound. 

My local independent pet supplier carries TOTW and agreed with my initial strategy while Stanley settled in, but told me about the past controversies of the parent company and added he may be discontinuing this brand in the future.  I also noticed that the TOTW "Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison" variety had an apparent preponderance of water buffalo meat imported from India.  Bison and Venison were ingredients number nine and ten (listed after dried yeast?!!! that's not much Bison or Venison!)  This was disclosed on the package although I didn't notice at first. This sort of thing hastens my decision when I'm considering changing brands.  

There were other high-end brands in my neighborhood store including Fromm's and few others, including Grandma Mae's.  I was still reluctant to switch brands because Stanley enjoyed the TOTW and the poop issue wasn't horrible (I've read enough posts and talked with enough other greyhound owners to know it could be a LOT worse :lol ).

I Decided to try the switch when I received a few free samples of Grandma Mae's from the shop. At this point it's important to mention that this brand is apparently owned by an association of independent pet supply stores--meaning that my neighborhood store probably has some skin in this brand.  They weren't pushy about recommending it though. He's on his second bag of the chicken and brown rice formula and likes it.  So far so good.  Only downside so far is the price--it's not cheap.  But Stanley is my only hound so I don't have to pay to feed an entire pack of greys (as much fun as that would be!).

Is anyone else on GT feeding this brand? just curious!

PS:  Both TOTW and Grandma Mae's have smaller kibble pieces than what I recall with my prior greyhound...uniform shaped pieces kind of like vitamin tablets, rather than chunks...this is a trend nowadays?  I suppose it prevents choking!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Have you ruled out hookworms as the cause of the runny poops?

I wouldn’t change food yet unless multiple testing shows that Stanley doesn’t have hookworms.

And then I’d suggest feeding plain ol’ green bag IAMS, doing the gradual changeover from his current food.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hi and thanks!

He has paperwork from shelter's vet saying he is clear of hookworms.  First appointment with his new vet is coming up in June and likely we'll have him tested again.   Also...no tummy rumbles and the dog hasn't passed gas once, indoors or outdoors, in the three weeks I've had him (a dog that doesn't fart? at all? I *think* it's a real dog and not a robot.!? ). 

Plus it's secondary (and tertiary) poops that were a little runny.  First poop of the walk has always been fairly decent.  and furthermore (this is huge .... :pinkele )  we have coincidentally added Olewo carrots beginning yesterday...and are (apparently) seeing results after one day (here's hoping).  Good form even on second poop of the walk.  WOW. At this point I'm not sure if it's the new food (phased in starting almost a week ago), or the Olewo carrots (started a day ago), or a combination thereof but today was rainy, and not runny!

My grey from 20 years ago used Iams in the green bag for a while (she had to change when she got older, but had a good few years on it). I was pleasantly surprised that they still make it!  It remains in back of my mind if things take a turn for the worse, but for now, :hope things are hopefully looking solid!

Edited by Sniffy
(edited to remove duplicate sentence and correct spelling error)

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?